Okay, fine, I pinky promise this time! DTL gets rid of the podge Watch

DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago

:dance:Welcome to my get fit blog!:dance:

Everybody says in the new year that they're going to join the gym, lose weight and eat super healthy. :jitsu: I kind of did, but more relaxed. I'm starting this blog here to try and motivate me to finally lose this little podge I have on my stomach. :yes:

I want to start off by saying I'm not fat and I'm not overweight. :nah: I'm within the healthy weight range for my height, although I know I am leaning towards the "oof, getting a bit heavy there eh?" end. :o:

A bit of waffle about my issues with my body:
Spoiler:
Show

When I gain weight, it all goes to my stomach and my chin. Everyone has a double chin, but (and this could just be my self-perception) I think I have more of a double chin than I should. :sad: I can't wear tight clothes because of my lil stomach podge. In certain clothes I can look about 4 months pregnant. :eek4: However in other clothes I can look like I haven't got a stomach at all. :lolwut:

I've been like this for years, but only had brief spurts of being healthy to get rid of it. This time I finally, really want to do it. So to sound totally predictable, 2019 will be my year. :ahee:

This blog is not going to be strict. It isn't going to be me going to the gym, calorie counting, building muscle etc. I'm not into getting super lean and fit. :naughty: Instead, Here's what this blog will be:

- Transforming my diet :eating:
- Losing this bit of weight to slim down a tad :groovy:
- Making exercise a normal part of my routine :thumbsup:

More waffle about my eating habits and how I intend to change them:
Spoiler:
Show

I've been eating healthier since the new year. :yep: I've swapped having crumpets for breakfast with having overnight oats and fruit, or yoghurt and fruit. However that's basically the only change. :unsure: I'm a sucker for chocolate in particular. This needs to change! This is what I'll do:

- Give myself a reward day. This will be a Sunday, where if I've "been good" the whole week, I'll give myself some chocolate instead of rewarding myself every day for having a piece of fruit.
- Replace having potatoes etc in my meals with more veggies. Veggies fill me up too, so I can cut out some carbs that way.
- Keeping a food diary (which I do on my other blog) to help me visualise what I'm eating.
- Drink water when I'm hungry instead of snacking. Everyone says to drink water instead because it fills you up. I'm going to give this a go to avoid feeling the need to snack unnecessarily.

Waffle about my exercising at the moment:
Spoiler:
Show

I don't really exercise that much. :thumbdown: I walk to and from uni (20 minute walk) 6-7 times a week, but honestly that's basically it. I'm self-conscious about jiggling when I exercise so it's put me off. :sigh:

Here's how I intend to change my exercising habits:

- Exercising at home, where no-one can see me. :ninjagirl: I've got an exercise mat and dumbbells, so now I just need to follow YouTube videos of workouts and I'm good to go! I aim to start with twice a week, and increase it as I get better.
- Walking to town when the weather is good / I'm not in a rush instead of getting the bus. It's a 45 minute walk or a 25 minute bus journey. I have no reason not to walk most of the time. :noway:
- Weighing myself once a week so I can see that it is making a difference and recording my progress in a notebook. :happy2:

So... that's the plan. A warning if you want to follow my journey or help support me and motivate me: I do like to waffle. :blah: I just type as the thoughts come into my brain and I don't think about how long it will be. With this blog though, I'm going to put all the waffling in spoilers and have just the "key" info as the main bit so you don't have to read it all. :bigsmile: I'm planning on making a post once a week and having it be a summary of the week's progress, any good highlights, any little hiccups and how I'm feeling.

Soo... let's see how this goes! :crossedf:

10th February 2019

Weight at 9am (also going to try to weigh myself at the same time too, apparently that's best!): 61.6kg
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
good luck:hugs:
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
good luck:hugs:
Thank you
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Best of luck :rave: u got this :thumbsup:
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
It is okay to be hungry. Being hungry doesn't mean you have to have a snack or think about food.
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would like to say that if you are increasing your level of activity especially if you are doing a routine that includes weights don't cut your carbs by too much, you will need the energy.
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by JaseyB)
I would like to say that if you are increasing your level of activity especially if you are doing a routine that includes weights don't cut your carbs by too much, you will need the energy.
Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely not going to cut them out completely, but instead of having them in every evening meal I'll only have them a couple of times a week instead.
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
I am so proud of myself!

Name:  Screenshot_20190212-195125_Samsung Health-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  84.1 KB
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I am so proud of myself!

Name:  Screenshot_20190212-195125_Samsung Health-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  84.1 KB
:woo: well done keep it up :thumbsup:
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
:woo: well done keep it up :thumbsup:
I'm going to aim for 7-10k steps a day. Today was a bonus because I had lots of places to go and things to do.
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I'm going to aim for 7-10k steps a day. Today was a bonus because I had lots of places to go and things to do.
that sounds great u totally got this best of luck
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
17th February 2019

I've had a good week! :awesome: I weighed myself at 8:15am and I'm 61.1kg. I'm pleased! :crown: I've lost about a pound, which is really good considering I've only made small changes.

Exercise:

Spoiler:
Show

I've only done a workout once this week (I know that's not what I said I would do, but hear my out). I enjoyed the workout, it took about half an hour and made me feel a little sore for a couple days after especially my calves. Unfortunately I didn't do another one this week because of my headaches. :cry2: In case you didn't know I have a condition in my jaw called TMJ which basically means the joints in my jaw aren't right and they could be causing my headaches. When I get a bad headache / migraine, I just can't do anything. :no: If you suffer from migraines you'll sympathise. So yeah, I'm hoping this coming week will be a lot better.

HOWEVER, I've been walking loooads more. :yes: The weather has been really warm and sunny, so I've been walking to town more. It takes me about 45 minutes because I walk at a nice, slow pace. It's around 7k steps there. I try to walk back as well, but if my feet by that point are very sore or I'm getting a blister, I'll get the bus back. My record this week was about 16k steps in one day, which I'm really pleased with. :yay:

Thursday I only did about 300 because I had to wait for a delivery all day. :unimpressed: I did have plans to go out but it didn't arrive until 5pm and by that point it was too late to do what I wanted.

Food:
Spoiler:
Show

I've been really good this week too. :yum: The only snacks I'm having between meals are either almonds or a cereal bar. No chocolate or other junk food, really pleased. :u: I've cut down the amount of carbs I'm having. So one day I had roast chicken with spinach and veggies, but had extra veggies instead of potatoes. I'm not completely eliminating carbs but I think it's helping to have more veggies instead.

I'm going to let myself have a bit of dark chocolate as a reward for being good. :cookie: The only downside to this week was I had McDonald's for lunch yesterday. :cry: I think I just convinced myself I'd been good all week, my friend had a voucher and so I decided why not. Obviously that was a one-off! I've resisted Greggs all week as well!

My goals for this week are:

- Workout twice at least, I know I can do it... hopefully if my head obliges :crossedf:
- Walk to town every single time unless it's absolutely p*ssing it down or I have a time limit :run:
- Continue eating like I have been, more veggies mainly :eating:
- Not to buy a cookie with my lunch at uni on Tuesday or Friday. These cookies are amazing, but they're no good for me! If I can resist that then I'll be happy with myself. :naughty:
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 21 hours ago
Good luck!!!!

One little advice (I'd wish I follow it myself), instead of cutting off foods/counting callories (which is good you don't do, but still have to maintain a normal amount of callories total), try counting nutrients, make sure your diet is ballanced, in addition make sure you eat the right mix of foods that don't interrupt with each other and everything is absorbed well... you may want to talk to a dietitian about it. I did that when I went vegan just to make sure I eat well.... worked great until my current work.

About exercises, exercising alone is good if you do it right. Basic stuff should be ok, but some flexibility or weight exercises (even simple ones) should be done under supervision, at least at the start of your journey.

Good luck on your journey!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (229)
59.95%
No (153)
40.05%

Watched Threads