The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh yh I heard about that you have to speak to your exams officer and they should contact the board..
My mate lasy year had diabetes and she got 5% extra marks..
Reply 2
You will not get 3%, so dont get your hopes up.

5% is reserved for extreme cases, such as death of family member at exam times.

If your parents are getting a divorce you get 2%.

So 3% for hayfever is a load of rubbish. I get hayfever really bad too.
If you apply for special consideration all you will get is a "We'll think about it"...with no response to follow up or a " we thought about it and decided against it".

Seriously, not worth the effort. You'll get nothing.
Reply 3
snaude
You will not get 3%, so dont get your hopes up.

5% is reserved for extreme cases, such as death of family member at exam times.

If your parents are getting a divorce you get 2%.

So 3% for hayfever is a load of rubbish. I get hayfever really bad too.
If you apply for special consideration all you will get is a "We'll think about it"...with no response to follow up or a " we thought about it and decided against it".

Seriously, not worth the effort. You'll get nothing.

It's 3% for hayfever.
And jeez this only happens on TSR, you ask for something then someone will not only not answer the question, but tell you you're wrong.

So where should i apply for special considertion?
Ask your Exams Officer. I have 6 hours of exam on one day, so I am going to ask her for special consideration. I think they give you 2% for you last exam - Latin Background, so I might as well try it. I have nothing to lose.
Reply 5
Wow I’m shocked by some of this!

I know it’s very sad if people have bad conditions when their exams are going on but it’s very strange in my eyes, for boards to offer a ‘free’ 2% or whatever for situations that people go through.

I’m going through a very hard time now but there is no way to quantify that into a percentage really. How can they maintain consistency across levels of grief.

I’ll be speaking to my exams officer tomorrow because of this, if other people are applying because of some things said above, I don’t want to be left out.
Gren1TI
Wow I’m shocked by some of this!

I know it’s very sad if people have bad conditions when their exams are going on but it’s very strange in my eyes, for boards to offer a ‘free’ 2% or whatever for situations that people go through.

I’m going through a very hard time now but there is no way to quantify that into a percentage really. How can they maintain consistency across levels of grief.

I’ll be speaking to my exams officer tomorrow because of this, if other people are applying because of some things said above, I don’t want to be left out.

I understand that it is a bit strange, but if it is there, who is going to turn it down?! Not me, thats for sure or not Gren :smile:
Reply 7
I've just found how toe JCQ award extra percentages based on special circumstances:

http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/538/Final%20%20RAG%2007%2D08.pdf

Page 51. Sounds quite fair there.

Edit: Wow, looks like hay fever on the day of the exam is eligible for 2% consideration!

2% Probably the most common category of allowance. The majority of cases might fall within this category:

minor illness at the time of the assessment;

broken limb on the mend;

recent viral illness;

concussion;

effects of pregnancy (not pregnancy per se);

hay fever on the day of an examination;

extreme distress on day of examination;

allowance on last paper taken in a day when candidate has exceeded 5 hours 30 minutes at GCSE or 6 hours at AS/A Level.
• allowance on last paper taken in a day when candidate has exceeded 5 hours 30 minutes at GCSE or 6 hours at AS/A Level.

THAT'S ME :biggrin:
BTW do I get 2% for that Latin paper or my overall percentage?
RoadWarrior
• allowance on last paper taken in a day when candidate has exceeded 5 hours 30 minutes at GCSE or 6 hours at AS/A Level.

THAT'S ME :biggrin:

I have that for Tuesday, I have 6.5 hours of exams! Thing is that 2% will make a huge difference and I'd rather I'd rather it be on any other exam apart from my last which I'm not as bothered about! :frown:

I also think it's unfair that it only applies for the last exam, it should apply for each exam after 5.5 hours has passed!
RoadWarrior
BTW do I get 2% for that Latin paper or my overall percentage?

Probably just for that exam.
KnightRider
Probably just for that exam.

I would prefer getting it for Eng Lit. I mean 2% for a Latin Background will still be helpful, but like everyone, I always want more. Oh well, at least it is something. Now, I can't be complacement and I need to learn it all. In one weekend, I need to learn all of R&J , LOTF, Poetry, Physics, Chemistry, Latin Lang 2 and Background and R.S Reliogion and Society. Maths doesn't need much, but Eng Lit will be a killer.
Reply 13
does anyone know where we should ask for this?
I think you're meant to get a note from your GP about illnesses; that's what we've been told to do.
Reply 15
It's fair that the 2% allowance applies only to the exams after the 5.5 hour threshold.

All the earlier exams won’t be disadvantaged. I have three exams one day taking me to 5 hours (two 2 hours and a 1 hour) and I don’t get anything for that. :frown:

Oh well.
Gren1TI
It's fair that the 2% allowance applies only to the exams after the 5.5 hour threshold.

All the earlier exams won’t be disadvantaged. I have three exams one day taking me to 5 hours (two 2 hours and a 1 hour) and I don’t get anything for that. :frown:

Oh well.

It only applies to the last exam though, not all the exams after 5.5 hours..
Reply 17
Well my parents are currently getting divorced and its a pretty stressful time. I am eligible for 4% extra marks, but Im not going to claim them as I dont want to cash in on a situation that realistically isnt reducing my study time and probably wont affect my grades that much.

3% for hayfever...I get that badly as well. But I just deal with it.
Take loratadine
Reply 19
my pet hamster died, we were VERY closely attached how many percent do i get for that?

Latest