The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I get terrible hayfever, but if I take a tablet it just about copes - I'd never claim 2% for that - I'd feel awful when results came out, wondering if it was my "hayfever marks" that took me over a grade boundary.
Reply 21
If a relative has just died it seems pretty trivial to try and get a few extra marks in your GCSEs, which in the scheme of things, don't mean anything. If the loss affected you badly enough, exams would be the last thing you were bothered about.

Regarding hayfever, i think you have to go to your GP and get a doctor's note which you can then give to the exams office. You can get some additional marks for this in some cases.
lozz2601
I get terrible hayfever, but if I take a tablet it just about copes - I'd never claim 2% for that - I'd feel awful when results came out, wondering if it was my "hayfever marks" that took me over a grade boundary.

But if you missed out, how would you feel, knowing that those 2%, which you deserve, would get the A* for you?
Reply 23
Extreme distress on the day of the examination

Hmm.
RoadWarrior
But if you missed out, how would you feel, knowing that those 2%, which you deserve, would get the A* for you?

I think I'd rather have the second scenario than the first though, which is probably my decision for me!
Besides, I think that a tablet would clear most of it up - and if not, I manage with tissues :biggrin:
Reply 25
My hayfever only affects me first thing in the morning (6 until about 8:30), and late afternoon (after 5), by which time all my exams are over anyway. :biggrin:
Reply 26
lozz2601

You get terrible hayfever but the tablet makes it ok?
do you think i live in a cave and haven't heard of tablets?

Terrible for me means, red eyes, with or without tablets, runny nose, itchy neck.. sneezing
Bateman
You get terrible hayfever but the tablet makes it ok?
do you think i live in a cave and haven't heard of tablets?

Terrible for me means, red eyes, with or without tablets, runny nose, itchy neck.. sneezing

Lol no, not suggesting you are a caveperson - I'm just saying, if it's so severe that it affects you that badly even with medication, that has to be dangerous in general.
And I didn't mean ok as in fine, I meant it as it's copable for a couple of hours, regardless of how uncomfortable I am!
Reply 28
Haha, well first of all im too shy to apply for anything like that, i hate talking to anyone i dont know, including teachers :frown:. My Parents divoreced a few weeks before the exams, im diognosed with depression, my hayfeaver is awfull even though im on tablets, Yesterday one of my best mates was like almost killed infront of me.

But i get you gotta deal with it, 2% or something, it is not anything, just fail...
Reply 29
Ok, I've got hayfever, I'm sure I can pick up a viral illness somewhere, now I'm just going to jump off a bridge, that's broken limb and probably a bit of concussion, it's never too late to get pregnant either, I'm pretty stressed out about my broken limb and I'll fake dyslexia so I am allowed extra time, more extra time means I am gonna be spending more than 5.5 hours so that's some more marks!

That's 14% extra, not too shabby I must say.
cyth
Haha, well first of all im too shy to apply for anything like that, i hate talking to anyone i dont know, including teachers :frown:. My Parents divoreced a few weeks before the exams, im diognosed with depression, my hayfeaver is awfull even though im on tablets, Yesterday one of my best mates was like almost killed infront of me.

But i get you gotta deal with it, 2% or something, it is not anything, just fail...

Exams seem trivial compared to what you have been through...Good Luck mate :smile:
Reply 31
yeah, we've been told that if you have really bad hayfever on the day of your exam, go to your family doctor and get a note later that day saying your condition coould have affected performance on the day of your exam and give that to the board, they cant refuse a signed letter from a reputable medical practitioner :wink:
Reply 32
i have a hearig probem and i was wondering if anyones knows if any allowances can be made apart from sitting near the speaker? because surely if you can get extra marks for things like hayfever ect i should get extra marks in french listening??
Meelz
i have a hearig probem and i was wondering if anyones knows if any allowances can be made apart from sitting near the speaker? because surely if you can get extra marks for things like hayfever ect i should get extra marks in french listening??

I have hearing problems, yet did my french listening exam without too much difficulty. It depends on how much of a problem you have, but I doubt you would would get extra marks for it.
Reply 34
it's not too bad but my teacher has put me in for foundation in the hope that will help it's only certain sounds ect
Go to your GP and get some treatment.

I was suffering really badly a fortnight ago and went to the doctors' and said I had exams coming up and was given some antihistamine tablets and a nasal spray - now I can breathe better than I have done for years.
I feel the OPs pain because my hayfever is horrendous!! I've tried everything but then this year my doctor put me on this new treatment called Grazax which itself contains pollen and your body gradually desensitizes to it and so far this year i've been completely fine. Its too late to starts it now because you need to start in advance of the hayfever season but i'd recommend inquiring about it for next year.

Also do you really get 5% extra because I never knew that and i swear I can't see straight in some exams its that bad...
Reply 37
Bateman
basically i suffer from really bad hayfever, and it does affect my concentration in the exam, i heard somewhere i could get like 3% extra marks in my exams, does anyone know where i should apply for it?

Hi :smile:

i kind of read threw the posts but coudnt really see if your question had bin anserd, so if you need special condeieration then you need to go to your exam officer and also maybe your docter to get a note, but speek to your exam officer ASAP!!

good luck with your exams and i hope your hayfever get's better :smile:
Reply 38
I get bad hayfever!
But not applying for extra marks
a) because I did not know it was possible
b) because I now cannot be bothered and
c) because I shall be dosed up to the eyes on piriton and nasal spray and so it shouldn't affect me too much

Latest