The Student Room Group

Help with future career

I really need help with something!I'm a 16 year old student and I am currently completing my gcses. My grades are good and I recently auditioned for a level 3 musical theatre course at college and I got in.However, I am having doubts about whether performing arts is the career path I would like to go down. I would really like to be able to support my family and have a stable job in the future and I don't believe performing arts will allow me to do this. I am limited by finances and travel, and I would like to be able to work from my hometown. I know that I may have to move to London to persue acting as a career as it is very competitive and I wouldn't feel comfortable moving far away from my family as I am a carer for someone in my family. I could also do performances on the side, and have my main career as follows..The other path I have an incredible passion for is health and social care. I am attaining A*s at the moment and would love a career in nursing, childcare or healthcare in general. I know that for these types of courses apprenticeships are a great option (and would allow me to have some income in the meantime). They often provide employment at the end too. The only thing stopping me from doing this is the fact that many of these positions have been taken by this point in the year and I am not entirely sure where else to find vacancies except local colleges which only seem to have childcare apprenticeships. I would like to work in health care but I don't love the idea of taking sciences at A level which is why an apprenticeship may be better. I would like to do an apprenticeship but is it too late?Should I just do the musical theatre course and see where it takes me? Or shall I apply for the apprenticeship?Thanks for your help! xx
Does your school have a careers advisor who might be able to help you with this and provide you with advice? The following government website is good to find apprenticeships in your area which may suit you https://www.gov.uk/topic/further-education-skills/apprenticeships
Yes, they do and I intend to speak to her in two weeks after half term. I've had a look on the website you have provided but there aren't many options within healthcare. I'm currently applying for a childcare apprenticeship in my area which means that if I change my mind I will have both options available to me on results day. Thanks for your help xx :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest