2nd generation immigrants- would you want to go live in your country of origin? Watch

FarhanHalim
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
For example, if you’re British born but your parents are from India or Pakistan or Nigeria or whatever, would you feel more at home here in the UK or abroad in your parents’s country of origin?

(Title was meant to say parents’ country of origin but there wasn’t enough space)
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The UK
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Badges: 13
Report 3 months ago
I don't feel a connection to neither. In both I feel like a foreigner. The only reason I may pick UK is because of the social groups that I have created here but other than that I don't think that the country that I am in defines who I am
Sharif92
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’d say I’d prefer to stay here rather than go to Afghanistan because the Uk obviously has better job opportunities and I wouldn’t enjoy the same standard of living there as I would here. But I wouldn’t consider myself British, I don’t have any British heritage or anything and in my opinion being born here isn’t the same as having hundreds of years of ancestry here. I like Britain and British people though, I’m not saying I’m not grateful for the opportunities here because obviously I am, and I do contribute to the country. But it’s not what I’d consider my identity.
Mandem67
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I like Britain more but I’m not just British or just Nigerian, I’d say a combination of both. I don’t think I’d feel comfortable in Nigeria since I’m not that used to life there and the country is a lot poorer than Britain but I’m not one of those second gens who thinks they’re jut British and tries to hide their true origin.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I feel a lot more at home in the UK.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't think most people would - most of these countries are developing and lack many of the luxuries which are common here in the UK - and once you've taken those things for granted its hard to let go of that stuff

I've personally been to Pakistan several times - and stayed months and years at a time and am used to it
but I imagine it's too different from the UK for most - when you're used to the rainy miserable climate here it's hard to adjust to the +30° Celsius weather over there

and obviously it depends on how rich your family is - being rich helps make life very comfortable
Last edited by 134841422; 3 months ago
kjss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It’s difficult because I was born in the U.K. and have never been to my country of origin (Jamaica) but I think I grew up culturally very Jamaican and living in a very Afro-Caribbean borough of London, I think I do have a very strong connection to Jamaica but transitioning from a tiny island lifestyle after living in London my whole life would be very difficult and I don’t think I would fit in 100% there, so I do feel in this weird limbo between the two.
Emms98
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I wouldn’t want to live in India tbh, I’ve been there and it’s just too dirty and chaotic and the life I’d have there doesn’t really compare to how i can live here. I think I’m pretty much staying here my whole life.
GGekkoM&A
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’d prefer to move to Turkey where my ancestors are from originally. I don’t really feel British, having grown up in quite a Turkish part of the Uk and knowing mostly Turks, although I don’t dislike Britain or the British- very much the opposite. But I am quite familiar with turkey having visited several times and knowing the language fluently. I’ve never really felt like this country is home, I feel that most people feel more at home in a country where they have many generations of ancestry and a real connection to rather than just being born there. Obviously turkey isn’t extremely poor or dangerous either so I reckon I could have a similar standard of living there as a graduate, although poorer people in turkey are obviously much worse off than poor people in the Uk. Right now I’m just looking to complete my degree with a high grade and either find a job there or transfer once I get one here.
JTharma
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’d probably feel more at home in Sri Lanka rather than here. The weather’s better, the culture is something I’m more used to and nowadays the standard of living is going up, too.
Last edited by JTharma; 3 months ago
ebam_uk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Nah, unless I was super rich, the nigerian economy has gone bad.
anonymous1231231
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i identify more with my actual ethnic origin, but i feel at home in England. I don't know life over there.
ihxsinachi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
UK because 1) scared people would notice my accent and kidnap me 2) I only speak English and Spanish so it would take me a log time tl adjust to people who only speak Yoruba/Igbo/Pidgin (this is probably only in some villages where not many people are educated) 3) I'm squeamish so I would only be able to stay in nice parts of towns (think Victoria Island, Lekki, Abuja) or nice houses. 4) British passport gets me most visas, Nigerian passport might have higher requirements and more negative connotations. 5) sexism - I'm a sensitive girl (or woman...I'm not used to being considered an adult yet) so I don't know how I'd deal with a higher level of scrutiny and harrassment than I expect in the UK (I've never had a job and I've been quite lucky to not be on the receiving end of blatant misogynoir, but from what I've heard Nigeria is even more patriarchal than the UK) and 6) General lack of law and order to the point that I fear for my life more than in East London where I used to live

Might be a bit of a prejudiced view considering I haven't been back for 8 years and I probably haven't even met half of my extended family, but from what I've heard from my parents and other Nigerians life's only good if you're rich and you have private security... so I'd rather keep it as a holiday destination.
Any other Nigerians wanna weigh in?
Justbeingmyself
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I identify with British culture and values way more so the UK.
rainbowcolours1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As a british born chinese, I feel more at home in the UK.

Although I grew up with both cultures in mind and speaking the language, I will never be fluent enough and will be identified as a foreigner to the Chinese. However, I would love to experience living in my family's country of origin for some period as I love Chinese food and culture but that also comes with a lot of adapting.
schoolsboring
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm half Jamaican with a bit of Africa in there (2nd gen) but 100% feel at home/safe/accepted in Britain. The truth is Western countries (Spain, Germany, Italy France and UK) are really some of the best ones out there for things like equality, crime, economy etc. I would be horrified to live in Jamaican or Africa with its current state of poverty and equality. I mainly feel at home in the UK because I guess my culture is 100% British and following no religion helps
Last edited by schoolsboring; 3 weeks ago
katf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd love to live in Ireland for a bit. My family fled the Troubles as refugees though, so it's a bit of a sore topic.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd be sound living in the old country. I will end up there at some point, need to blag meself a job at Trinity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (54)
5.67%
Fairly positive (299)
31.37%
Just another year... (374)
39.24%
Is it 2020 yet? (226)
23.71%

Watched Threads