The Student Room Group

How to revise for GCSEs?

I'm struggling on how to revise for my gcses , the main subject i have to focus on is maths and geography.
i seriously dont know how to revise for maths, ive tried past papers, websites,videos, maths revision guides...and nothing... still not good enough grades.
On my last mock i was 33 marks off for my next grade (which was a 4 ) which is quite worrying because it is a lot to catch up.
If someone has any suggestions on how i can improve this situation id be thankful.
If you've tried all of those revision techniques, I'd suggest getting a tutor or persuading someone who is getting good grades to help teach/revise with you a bit.
maths is just practice. Go on mathsgenie, watch all vids, practice all questions over and over and understand the videos.

This helped me improve from a 4 to a 7 in the space of 3 weeks :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by TheLukeManster
maths is just practice. Go on mathsgenie, watch all vids, practice all questions over and over and understand the videos.

This helped me improve from a 4 to a 7 in the space of 3 weeks :biggrin:

Thank you , i'll try that.
Bit of a sticky one still
have you tried seneca? it really helped me with my gcses :smile:
Reply 6
Go on mathswatch because they have really good and simple videos, or use the Dr. Frost powerpoints or hegartymaths on youtube, whatever resource you prefer. Make sure you understand each concept fully and that you know the steps for things youre meant to work out. The main thing about maths is understanding, because then you can apply concepts in a wider sense. Afterwards go on youtube or websites and watch videos of people going over questions from that topic (eg mathssaurus, therea some other recourses but i forgot what they were, will link if i remember) and answer them with them. See where you go wrong, it could be one small silly mistake at the very beginning that causes you to lose all the marks. Then just practice. Just keep doing topic packs until you feel very confident. It could be a long process but it’s alright. Just dont loose your track. Also if youre really lost try asking youre teacher or a friend for help. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Jahayna
Go on mathswatch because they have really good and simple videos, or use the Dr. Frost powerpoints or hegartymaths on youtube, whatever resource you prefer. Make sure you understand each concept fully and that you know the steps for things youre meant to work out. The main thing about maths is understanding, because then you can apply concepts in a wider sense. Afterwards go on youtube or websites and watch videos of people going over questions from that topic (eg mathssaurus, therea some other recourses but i forgot what they were, will link if i remember) and answer them with them. See where you go wrong, it could be one small silly mistake at the very beginning that causes you to lose all the marks. Then just practice. Just keep doing topic packs until you feel very confident. It could be a long process but it’s alright. Just dont loose your track. Also if youre really lost try asking youre teacher or a friend for help. Good luck!

Thank you so much
Reply 8
Original post by mcv2002
Thank you so much

No problem! Let me know if you need any help w questions or anything!
I've recently graduated with a degree in maths - if you need help feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Mr.Spock
I've recently graduated with a degree in maths - if you need help feel free to message me :smile:

Thank you
Definitely definitely try maths watch! It takes you step by step through all topics! The lady's voice might be annoying haha but it really helps lmao. Go through everything one or two afternoons and then see how much of a past paper you can do then! Good luck :smile:
Original post by mcv2002
I'm struggling on how to revise for my gcses , the main subject i have to focus on is maths and geography.
i seriously dont know how to revise for maths, ive tried past papers, websites,videos, maths revision guides...and nothing... still not good enough grades.
On my last mock i was 33 marks off for my next grade (which was a 4 ) which is quite worrying because it is a lot to catch up.
If someone has any suggestions on how i can improve this situation id be thankful.

Hey! I know you saaid you tried past papers but i really do reccomend them as the marking scheme tells you how to get the higher marks by ticking off the criteria! Good Luck!
Sophia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest