In dilemma choosing A-levels Watch

Beststudent07
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I will be joining my A levels in a few months and I’m in a dilemma choosing subjects. I want to do my undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering. The subjects I’ve chosen are:
-Maths
-Physics
Computer Science

Also,I don’t wanna do chemistry because I absolutely hate it and it basically isn’t my thing. I chose these subjects because I am really good at maths,physics and computer science. Is my options good?

Thanks in advance
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Beststudent07; 1 week ago
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Beststudent07)
I will be joining my A levels in a few months and I’m in a dilemma choosing subjects. I want to do my undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering. The subjects I’ve chosen are:
-Maths
-Physics
Computer Science

Also,I don’t wanna do chemistry because I absolutely hate it and it basically isn’t my thing. I chose these subjects because I am really good at maths,physics and computer science. Is my options good?

Thanks in advance
They sound good, but did you ever consider doing Further Maths? It can be a helpful subject for Mechanical Engineering but not normally a required subject
Beststudent07
Rep:
?
Thank you. Is computer Science mandatory or should I replace computer Science with Further Maths?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you. Is computer Science mandatory or should I replace computer Science with Further Maths?
Computer Science isn't mandatory, no.

I think FM would be more useful, and it is required or preferred by some of the top Unis so it would keep all your options open
Beststudent07
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for the advice. What a levels did you do and which uni did you go to?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you so much for the advice. What a levels did you do and which uni did you go to?
My A levels aren't relevant to your question because they weren't similar to yours at all (English Lit, History & Sociology )

My son's A levels are more relevant to you because he did Maths, Physics & English Lit and then started a degree in Mechanical Engineering at Birmingham Uni. Birmingham didn't require Further Maths but my son did struggle with the maths element of the course, and said that a lot of the other students had FM which gave them a bit of an advantage
Beststudent07
Rep:
?
Thank you. Birmingham University is a really good university. I am thinking of the University of Sheffield for Mechanical Engineering.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you. Birmingham University is a really good university. I am thinking of the University of Sheffield for Mechanical Engineering.
Good choice.

We went to the Sheffield Uni Open Day and liked it very much - also, it seemed the nicest student city out of all the places we visited. He would have picked Sheffield but I think their offer was AAA which he wasn't confident about achieving (and didn't )
Beststudent07
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice and for the reply 😊
KimNoel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
-Maths
-Physics
Computer Science

Thanks in advance
I would say that these are good subjects as they are complimentry together, I would also advise you to look at doing something like resistance materials as u would look at construction and buildings
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (237)
59.85%
No (159)
40.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise