?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve now received all my offers for Biochemistry:
Imperial (A*AA)
Oxford - St Hilda’s college A*AA)
Bristol (AAA)
Birmingham (AAB)
Newcastle (AAB)
All of which are conditional apart from Birmingham which is unconditional provided I put them as my firm choice. If anyone has experience at any of these unis please let me know!
My main deciding factors are:
Ranking of uni
Ability to do placement year
Support for students
Opportunity for a good social life
Surrounded by like minded people (like to have fun and have a social life)
Cost of living and how easy it is to get to uni from there
Cost to travel home (Sheffield)
So basically pretty much everything!
So far I think I’ve decided against Newcastle and if Birmingham isn’t my firm will probably be my insurance choice, so now just have to decide between the rest! Any help is appreciated !! Thankyou!
Chloe3238
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m thinking of applying to oxford biochemistry this year, any advice such as work experience or books? congrats btw!
ru6yyy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chloe3238)
I’m thinking of applying to oxford biochemistry this year, any advice such as work experience or books? congrats btw!
Thankyou! As regards to work experience I did 2 weeks in a vets practise (as originally I was interested in vet science) as well as participating in hospital volunteering weekly for 3 months! As well as this I organised a visit to a research lab at Sheffield uni which at the time was researching ocular tumours and they were testing on rabbits and I also partook in the “vivit experience”.
as regards to helping my application I was asked about the research lab visit in my interview and this seemed most relevant to biochemistry and I think helped me in my application but it was good to volunteer in a hospital as it helped me to see how the products related to biochemistry are used in a hospital setting!
good luck with your application!!
Chloe3238
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ru6yyy)
Thankyou! As regards to work experience I did 2 weeks in a vets practise (as originally I was interested in vet science) as well as participating in hospital volunteering weekly for 3 months! As well as this I organised a visit to a research lab at Sheffield uni which at the time was researching ocular tumours and they were testing on rabbits and I also partook in the “vivit experience”.
as regards to helping my application I was asked about the research lab visit in my interview and this seemed most relevant to biochemistry and I think helped me in my application but it was good to volunteer in a hospital as it helped me to see how the products related to biochemistry are used in a hospital setting!
good luck with your application!!
Thank you so much!!! What grades were you predicted?
Chloe3238
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry, also did you mention any lectures/talks in your personal statement?
ru6yyy
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!!! What grades were you predicted?
I was predicted A*A*A* in biology chemistry and maths ! X
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what makes you unsure about accepting your oxford offer?
ru6yyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by sotor)
what makes you unsure about accepting your oxford offer?
I’m just worried that I won’t fit in and it’s a small city so won’t be loads to do in terms of nights out etc, basically my main concern is I won’t find likeminded people that I get on well with
ru6yyy
Rep:
?
Sorry, also did you mention any lectures/talks in your personal statement?
No I didn’t attend any lectures or talks as it was quite a late decision to apply to oxford and even biochem, and didn’t read any books but beforehand I made sure to read lots of articles about recent news in the biochem world so I had topics to talk about in my interview!
sotor
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m just worried that I won’t fit in and it’s a small city so won’t be loads to do in terms of nights out etc, basically my main concern is I won’t find likeminded people that I get on well with
i worry about the same thing to be honest! ive got an offer for medicine for 2019 entry, but i'm taking it regardless because of the cost of accommodation

ive seen quite a few people worrying that they won't fit in, and i think it's easy to forget that if you got into Oxford there has to be other people like you who got in! (applies to the state school to grammar private ratio etc like me as well as being someone who likes to have a night out)
there's more clubs and bars in oxford than you'd think and there's plenty of societies that organise events etc. i think if you give it a shot you'll find people you'll like and in terms of education there really isnt a better place to learn for the amount you pay in tuition
ru6yyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by sotor)
i worry about the same thing to be honest! ive got an offer for medicine for 2019 entry, but i'm taking it regardless because of the cost of accommodation

ive seen quite a few people worrying that they won't fit in, and i think it's easy to forget that if you got into Oxford there has to be other people like you who got in! (applies to the state school to grammar private ratio etc like me as well as being someone who likes to have a night out)
there's more clubs and bars in oxford than you'd think and there's plenty of societies that organise events etc. i think if you give it a shot you'll find people you'll like and in terms of education there really isnt a better place to learn for the amount you pay in tuition
Thanks for this its helped me realise I need to just Try give it a go and not overthink my decision cos at the end of the day it’s Oxford and if I try to make friends and meet new people it can’t be that bad! And congrats!! Medicine at Oxford is nearly impossible!!!
sotor
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for this its helped me realise I need to just Try give it a go and not overthink my decision cos at the end of the day it’s Oxford and if I try to make friends and meet new people it can’t be that bad! And congrats!! Medicine at Oxford is nearly impossible!!!
thank you!!!

you did amazing as well to get in, don't let fear hold you back!
ru6yyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by sotor)
thank you!!!

you did amazing as well to get in, don't let fear hold you back!
I’ll try not to!!
whatsitcalled
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi - having experienced Oxford Uni, I wouldn't worry about lack of nights out! It's a small city but full of students and young people, so there's several night clubs with different student nights and different music. There's always something going on. Plus the colleges run loads of events like bar parties and bops.
ru6yyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by whatsitcalled)
Hi - having experienced Oxford Uni, I wouldn't worry about lack of nights out! It's a small city but full of students and young people, so there's several night clubs with different student nights and different music. There's always something going on. Plus the colleges run loads of events like bar parties and bops.
Thankyou!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.44%
No (414)
66.56%

Watched Threads