The Student Room Group

do unis care about GCSEs if you meet all other requirements

here's the situation:
- dont have GCSEs (took the spanish system)
- will take maths and english GCSE (unis require Bs) ~ even though i am currently in y12
if i got A*AA and high scores in BMAT and UCAT, would universities accept my application? does not having GCSEs matter? i am looking to apply to UCL, Imperial, Bristol and King's
thank you :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by alexdeslarzes
here's the situation:
- will take maths and english GCSE (unis require Bs) ~ even though i am currently in y12
if i got A*AA and high scores in BMAT and UCAT, would universities accept my application? does not having GCSEs matter? i am looking to apply to UCL, Imperial, Bristol and King's

You should contact the unis beforehand. I expect they will accpet whatever the Spanish equivalent is. It is up to them how they wnat to handle it and they will deal with it on a case by case. Find out before you apply.

You should also be aware as we are leaving the EU, then if you are an EU student, home fees for 2020 and beyond is uncertain, especially in the case of no deal.

Having had a quick look in the portal i see that none of those unis place large emphasis on GCSE and you will be ok with a 6 in each, but especially Maths. 7 for Bristol.
here's the situation:

As long as you got your Graduado en Educación Secundaria, you will show that you have covered the GCSE equivalent curriculum. Check with the admissions people at your 4 chosen med schools, though.

By the way, please check the precise GCSE requirements again. Bristol need a grade A (7) in GCSE Mathematics, and in order to show that you have the English skills for Profile A, you need an A* (8) in GCSE English Language (or an IELTS score of 7.5 overall, minimum 7.0 in any band).
Original post by 999tigger
You should contact the unis beforehand. I expect they will accpet whatever the Spanish equivalent is. It is up to them how they wnat to handle it and they will deal with it on a case by case. Find out before you apply.

You should also be aware as we are leaving the EU, then if you are an EU student, home fees for 2020 and beyond is uncertain, especially in the case of no deal.

Having had a quick look in the portal i see that none of those unis place large emphasis on GCSE and you will be ok with a 6 in each, but especially Maths. 7 for Bristol.

yeah, i will definitely contact them beforehand. i basically asked because i want to know if i have a possibility, and if i should try to apply.
anyhow, thank you very much !!
Original post by 学生の父
As long as you got your Graduado en Educación Secundaria, you will show that you have covered the GCSE equivalent curriculum. Check with the admissions people at your 4 chosen med schools, though.

By the way, please check the precise GCSE requirements again. Bristol need a grade A (7) in GCSE Mathematics, and in order to show that you have the English skills for Profile A, you need an A* (8) in GCSE English Language (or an IELTS score of 7.5 overall, minimum 7.0 in any band).

yes, i do have the ESO. and i didnt know about Bristol's requirements, i guess i checked wrong (im about to look through all of them now, to make sure). i think that they also accept 192 points in the Cambridge Anvanced Examination, and i have 197. Thank you so much !! (especially for the Bristol part, i had no idea)
yeah, i will definitely contact them beforehand. i basically asked because i want to know if i have a possibility, and if i should try to apply.
anyhow, thank you very much !!

So the answer is yes, but as your situation is unusual and you have so few choices then its best to research everything and make sure they understand your non standard situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending