The Student Room Group

Why do you make/ stay friends with someone you don't like?

Sometimes you know someone's rude, nasty, *****y or a bully, but you make friends with them anyway, why?

Sometimes you make friends with someone who seemed nice at first, and then turned into all of the above, but you stay friends, why?
Can't relate. If I don't like someone I have a hard time being nice to them.
I have (had) some friends who I could relate to, and they were the banta type, low hopes in life, and etc, and I didnt take much notice of it, but I have different ideas of my life, like I revise, want to do well, go off to a sixth form and then to uni to study medicine, while they wanted to do a course and get a job and thats their life, which I was fine with, I didn't care, but they started being aggressive towards me, trying to get me into colleges and applying for useless courses, and yet it bothered me but I said no, and it wasnt until Friday when I received a letter from Westminster Sixth form saying that they want to interview, I got happy, and excited, and when I told them they just told to go die and that they hope I fail my interview so they don't accept me, one of my friends took it so far that he had an entire agruement with me in a group chat with others, (who took no notice of it) telling me that this is such a bad thing because it will make me more aggorant because I would seem more important, and he said this was because of the fact I "attacked" them, with that they are going to a college, and he attacked others in the group chat for believing in me that I can make it into this sixth form.
sometimes people live through another person ignoring all their bad qualities. as if their achievements and happiness is more important than yours. sometimes a person's boredom can be conquered through the quirky activities their friend gets up to. it's mostly to avoid lonelieness and people with low self esteem tend to be around more toxic people i suppose.
or sometimes people just have 'loyalties' so no matter what they do other people will stay with them.

i was friends with someone incredibly nasty for years and i let her drag me down and ignore me. she wasn't a bully but eh. for some reason i always attract problematic people
I don’t. Life is short. Why keep negative people in your life?

Live and let live. Peace ✌️
I don’t keep bad friends and don’t make friends with rude people. But I keep rude ass family cause they’re still blood at the end of the day
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Personally I was too scared to ever confront my friends when they did something bad. I think for a long time I never knew for sure what was fair on me and what wasn't, probably because my mum would be manipulative and emotionally exploitative so when I was younger I felt like that was just something I had to deal with from other people. I couldn't see any way to solve the issue. Again, growing up with a mum who was like that, I grew up never to really question her authority, not until I was older and started to see that she wasn't right. But when I was younger I didn't know it was wrong so I never would have spoke to her about it. Her and my dad would never talk through problems, they'd just shout and argue at each other so I never understood that talking to someone about your problems was even a possibility. And the idea of shouting and arguing with your friends was so scary, especially as a girl because there's pressure on you from other girls to be sweet and gentle, so I would avoid confrontation. So I guess for that reason I stayed quiet about problems in friendships. *****ing to other people about it was much easier because you were letting off steam, and I guess vicariously through that friend feeling like the issue was solved, until of course the other friend did something annoying or bad again.

My friend would be nasty to me with another friend if we had got into an argument and I knew that was wrong because I felt like I was being bullied by them, but then I stayed friends till we left school, so for like 2 or 3 years after that. I think I was desperate, like if I had a better friend in school I would probably have left the other girl. That's another thing, being on your own in school is so scary, boring and just horrible. I used to think it was cool and fun to be alone, before I tried it. I think you need to have so much confidence to do that, and the ability to stand up for yourself to others who might challenge you. It's scary to stand up for yourself, especially if you don't have that much conviction in what you're saying because you suffer from low self-esteem. So you're kind of forced to have friends, and then stay in bad friendships because most friends aren't very good friends in my opinion. Also in regards to the first thing, why do you make friends with bad people, I think you feel like if you make friends with a bully or someone mean they will like you/ won't bully you so you'll be safe (obviously this never seems to be the case because they actually just end up bullying you because they think you're beneath them). I think as well, especially at school mean people are popular because everyone's scared of them and scared to get on their bad side so if you're friends with them you're more popular and people afraid to mess with you too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending