V1455 – Additional Vehicle Excise Duty (Repeal) Bill 2019 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many as are of the opinion, aye (14)
33.33%
Of the contrary, no (25)
59.52%
Abstain (3)
7.14%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
V1455 – Additional Vehicle Excise Duty (Repeal) Bill 2019, TSR Libertarian Party
Additional Vehicle Excise Duty (Repeal) Bill 2019

An Act to repeal additional vehicle excise duty from the finance bill 2018

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1. Repeals
(1) Section 3 of B1440 is hereby repealed.

2 .Short title, Commencement, Extent
(1) This act may be cited as the Additional Vehicle Excise Duty (Repeal) Act 2019
(2) This act comes into force upon Royal Assent
(3) This act extends to the UK

Notes
Increase in VED for multi-car households is simply an abomination and an assault on working families finances. One must remember that most households have multiple adults.

Most multi-car households are not millionaires who own multiple cars, they are teenagers owning their first car when living at home or adults living at home. The tax is a tax on jobs, not excessive car use. Teenagers and adult children living at home will be forced to pay extortionate taxes which will reduce their car ownership, restrict their mobility, and ultimately make it harder for them to work. According to the Chancellor's source, 40% of people require a car for work and 37% stated this as the main reason for having more than one car in the household.

The policy targets hard working people the most. The Chancellor dismissing these concerns by claiming it affects a small proportion of car-owning households is an insult to the hardworking young adults.

Furthermore, the ved changes has many loopholes that can be worked around. Example, It's currently acceptable to put your address down as anything. So what's to stop someone from registering their car with a different address? So take the wealthy who own more than one house can easily register their second car in a different address and avoid paying the tax.

Costs
(£0.9bn)

Repeals
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5704614
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would have liked to have said "I'm surprised to see so many Labour MPs oppposing a tax cut for the working poor" but I'm really not because based on a highly flawed analysis (unsurpriosingly DayneD89 fell silent when his analysis was demonstrated to be highly flawed) they have convinced themselves that the working poor are unaffected and it's a tax on the middle class despite the fact that it is the working poor that are driving the old diesel cars that carry high levels of VED in the first place and it's the middle class buying the new Mercs, BMWs, Audis, Volvos etc with efficent engines and little VED, and the electric cars and hybrids that have no VED. But hey ho, why let facts and figures guide your decisison when you can tell yourself that a punitive tax on low income women and children who can't afford to leave home is okay because the rich have to pay too.
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Saracen's Fez Please change my vote to no. Thank you.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unown Uzer)
Saracen's Fez Please change my vote to no. Thank you.
One Aye has been changed to a No for seat 50.

One ineligible Aye has been removed for mr T 999.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
The Ayes to the right: 14
The Noes to the left: 25
Abstentions: 3

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 85.71%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (42)
12.03%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
11.17%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (10)
2.87%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.58%
No (249)
71.35%

Watched Threads