Why is student satisfaction at Birmingham so low?

Watch
username4207886
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys, I'm looking at studying a BSc in Economics and Political Science at Birmingham. I've visited the Uni on an open day and on a visit day for offer-holders and I really like the place. I've even thought about making Birmingham my firm choice, but then I saw the unistats data for my course- only 67% of students were satisifed overall.

Looking at the data these figures stuck out to me:

Staf are good at explaining things - 75%
Staff made the subject interesting - 67%
The criteria used for marking were clear in advance - 42%
Marking and assessmet has been fair - 50%
The course is well organised - 58%

Could anyone studying Economics or Politics please explain why these figures are so low? I'd really appreciate it as its making me doubt one of my favourite choices
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Check the sample size of the Unistats survey. It's often tiny and therefore unlikely to be representative.
username4207886
Rep:
?
Thanks for replying - I've just had a look and it says the data is from 10 students over 2 years.

If any UoB students are reading I'd still love to hear your thoughts on your course

(Original post by Sinnoh)
Check the sample size of the Unistats survey. It's often tiny and therefore unlikely to be representative.
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
that accent tho

Spoiler:
Show

There's so many reasons. Could be the students on a particular course aren't getting the facilities/resources they need, the SU is bad, funding is low in areas that need it. People just aren't happy when they took the survey?
Edit: Looks like there's a problem with the course deadlines/assessment and marking. Maybe they used a different system that year and they were the guinea pig year. There are many reasons.
Last edited by CheeseIsVeg; 1 year ago
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DanielOnTSR)
Thanks for replying - I've just had a look and it says the data is from 10 students over 2 years.

If any UoB students are reading I'd still love to hear your thoughts on your course
How could they get results like 42%, 58%, 75% and 67% if there are 10 respondents...?
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
that accent tho

Spoiler:
Show

There's so many reasons. Could be the students on a particular course aren't getting the facilities/resources they need, the SU is bad, funding is low in areas that need it. People just aren't happy when they took the survey?
I was just about to point out the same thing - them Birmingham accents be something else lol
username4207886
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
How could they get results like 42%, 58%, 75% and 67% if there are 10 respondents...?
That's what I was wondering :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.85%
No (430)
66.15%

Watched Threads