Hp Envy 13, 2018 Apple MacBook Air, Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 Watch

Python11111
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been searching for weeks for a laptop to replace my current one which has died on me, I have been able to shortlists the ones I have found to the hp envy 13, 2018 MacBook Air and the surface laptop 2. All 3 meet the advice I was given a few weeks ago on here I.e 8gb of ram 256gb ssd and full hd. I would be using the laptop for general tasks such as college work, Netflix and web browsing. Dose anyone have any advice on which to choose

Thanks in advance
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They're all great for that stuff, and (macbook pro aside) they're all relatively similar in terms of specs and price point options. It's mostly coming down to personal preference, so I'd head into a local John Lewis or PC World and try them all yourself, with particular attention to the keyboard and trackpad. I personally think the Surface Laptop 2 is the best premium notebook on the market, while Acsel swears by the XPS 13.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
£1000 for "General tasks and Netflix" is absolutely stupid, getting a macbook is basically paying 2x for half the specs and a wholly subpar product, the other options are stupidly expensive for frankly not worth it for what you want to do, do you actually need an SSD? no are they handy? sure but it really should not be that much of a selling point but the 8gb is something that is a good idea.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...pid=display~RR

Decently priced, will do what you want well
Last edited by AperfectBalance; 1 month ago
Python11111
Rep:
?
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
£1000 for "General tasks and Netflix" is absolutely stupid, getting a macbook is basically paying 2x for half the specs and a wholly subpar product, the other options are stupidly expensive for frankly not worth it for what you want to do, do you actually need an SSD? no are they handy? sure but it really should not be that much of a selling point but the 8gb is something that is a good idea.

Decently priced, will do what you want well and is not stupidly priced
I will only be paying a £300 difference as I had insurance on my previous laptop
Python11111
Rep:
?

Decently priced, will do what you want well and is not stupidly priced
I think I will go down to John Lewis and try them out
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
£1000 for "General tasks and Netflix" is absolutely stupid
It really isn't. Paying more for a well built, lightweight device makes sense. It's not like they're trying to spend £1000 on an overly specced device.

do you actually need an SSD? no are they handy? sure but it really should not be that much of a selling point but the 8gb is something that is a good idea.
The SSD is arguably far more valuable than the RAM, since the SSD can make up for a RAM deficiency but RAM won't increase the speed of a slow HDD. But ignoring all that, SSDs are a fairly basic and expected feature on even the most basic laptops. The speed difference is drastic enough that it's most certainly a selling point
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Acsel)
It really isn't. Paying more for a well built, lightweight device makes sense. It's not like they're trying to spend £1000 on an overly specced device.

The SSD is arguably far more valuable than the RAM, since the SSD can make up for a RAM deficiency but RAM won't increase the speed of a slow HDD. But ignoring all that, SSDs are a fairly basic and expected feature on even the most basic laptops. The speed difference is drastic enough that it's most certainly a selling point
Well built. Debateable. Lightweight who cares unless the thing is seriously heavy or you have some real special need this whole super light stuff is pretty silly especially since you pay a stupid premium. It would hardly matter if you had 4 gb and were chugging along loading and running stuff if you had an ssd or not (some applications maybe) but I would rather have 8gb over an ssd, not that ssds are not handy
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well built. Debateable.
It really isn't. Metal is a better material than plastic. They're put together with more care. I'm not going to pretend Apple doesn't have their fair share of hardware issues with the MacBook lineup, but on the whole thin and lights are far better built than their cheap plastic counterparts. This is out of necessity, you can't just decide to cram all your components in a smaller case.

Lightweight who cares unless the thing is seriously heavy or you have some real special need this whole super light stuff is pretty silly especially since you pay a stupid premium.
That's a specific requirement. I've gone through a variety of laptops, including a 17 inch desktop replacement, traditional cheap 15.6 inch devices and my current 13.3 inch ultrabook. The ultrabook is by far the best device for me, in part because it's so much smaller and lighter. The fact you say "who cares" shows you really don't know the market. Some people are happy carrying a larger, heavier plastic device. Others aren't and are happy to pay the premium.

It would hardly matter if you had 4 gb and were chugging along loading and running stuff if you had an ssd or not (some applications maybe) but I would rather have 8gb over an ssd, not that ssds are not handy
The key word here being "if". As I've said, 4GB is functional nowadays, but certainly not ideal. 8GB is widely agreed upon to be the minimum you should look for in a laptop or desktop. It makes little sense not to really. Especially since 4GB isn't sufficient for the average user. It's not a perfect test, but I've just checked my RAM usage with a YouTube video playing, a Word document open and this reply in a web browser. That's not unreasonable for a college student (who will probably be doing more). My RAM usage hit around 33-36%. I have 16GB of RAM, so some quick Maths tells us that's around 5GB. Even with just a single tab open I can get close to the 4GB limit.

But a quick explanation on how RAM works to demonstrate why an SSD makes more sense with low RAM. When RAM is full up, excess data is stored on your HDD/SSD. It's moved back and forth between RAM and your storage device as necessary. When this happens enough to noticably slow down your computer, it's called disk thrashing. The OS is spending more time swapping files in and out of RAM than it is actually doing work. An SSD helps alleviate the strain of disk thrashing simply because SSDs are faster, meaning the thrashing process is sped up. That's an overly simplified and not entirely accurate explanation but having an SSD and 4GB of RAM actually makes far more sense than a slower HDD and 8GB of RAM. That's totally ignoring how SSDs are more reliable, functionally better and so on.

But this is all irrelevant. Getting an SSD and getting 8GB of RAM isn't even something OP needs to stress over. They can easily have both, even on a lower budget machine. But at the end of the day, time is money. SSDs are faster, and the benefit pays for itself. Not that anyone should be going out of their way to save money by getting a device with a HDD in the first place.
Nightowk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Getlenovo : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Th...neimg' />0
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Swear the air has a garbage dual core.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by random_matt)
Swear the air has a garbage dual core.
Absolutely right. IIRC the cheapest MacBook with a quad core or higher is the £1750 13 inch MacBook Pro (which also requires paying for the touch bar).
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Acsel)
Absolutely right. IIRC the cheapest MacBook with a quad core or higher is the £1750 13 inch MacBook Pro (which also requires paying for the touch bar).
Yeah, I only recommend macbooks within their refurbished section.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by random_matt)
Yeah, I only recommend macbooks within their refurbished section.
I only recommend them when someone is really desperate for MacOS. While used hardware is often fine, I'm not a huge fan of recommending it to people. Especially when someone might not know what they're looking for. 99% of people aren't after a MacBook in the first place though, which makes things far easier.
Evonium
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I really really like the Surface Laptop 2 but the port selection is pretty awful.
Phildjm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I got the higher spec version of the HP Envy 13 (with 16GB RAM, 8th gen core i7, 512GB SSD, geforce mx150) the other day and so far I'm loving it. It's extremely quick in everything it does, the specs will last long for you. I think the base model is good anyway with 8GB RAM and stuff, but I would certainly recommend this version if you could. It's very light too so I can take it places, and the battery life is reasonable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (35)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.3%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.92%

Watched Threads