What is the highest salary you can see yourself earning realistically (UK) Watch

ineedtorevise127
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
For me I would be lucky to earn over £32k working in the public sector jobs are so underpaid
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
60-70k since I would be a CEng Mechanical engineer. But I'll try go further obviously
Tamimur
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
around 50-60k maybe as I hope to be a chemical engineer but who knows
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Infinite Series
  • Answer Heroes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm aspiring to get into investment banking just because I'd like to earn a lot to retire at an earlier age. I'd like to be earning about £250,000 by the time I retire. But since it's very competitive, there's no guarantee i'll get in.

But that's not stopping me from trying
Teaqueen812
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
60-70k and I don’t think I’ll have kids so all for me 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻
taher4946
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
daym what careers are these in im happy with 30k
Diamond22
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by taher4946)
daym what careers are these in im happy with 30k
Same here
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
£300,000 minimum publisher advance.
Max1989
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
£40k but also doing one of the most rewarding jobs out there which is all that matters honestly.
Bazyli
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ineedtorevise127)
For me I would be lucky to earn over £32k working in the public sector jobs are so underpaid
I think the average salary for my course at LSE is 64k by the time I’m aged 29, so hopefully I’ll be earning that😁
Infinite Series
  • Answer Heroes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bazyli)
I think the average salary for my course at LSE is 64k by the time I’m aged 29, so hopefully I’ll be earning that😁
Averages lie. I've seen Boutique Investment Banks with a 'mean' salary of £400,000, but upon further researching, I saw that the directors were earning 1-2 million pounds whilst the analysts were paid under £100,000. It still may average to a high amount, but it's not what you'd think when initially seeing this 'mean' data.

Because of this, I like looking at median figures more as I believe they're more representative since median data doesn't consider anomalies
Bazyli
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Infinite Series)
Averages lie. I've seen Boutique Investment Banks with a 'mean' salary of £400,000, but upon further researching, I saw that the directors were earning 1-2 million pounds whilst the analysts were paid under £100,000. It still may average to a high amount, but it's not what you'd think when initially seeing this 'mean' data.

Because of this, I like looking at median figures more as I believe they're more representative since median data doesn't consider anomalies
That’s a fair point haha, LSE have a pretty detailed database for looking at graduate destinations and I can honestly say I’d love to have any of those jobs those people claim to have!
Infinite Series
  • Answer Heroes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That’s a fair point haha, LSE have a pretty detailed database for looking at graduate destinations and I can honestly say I’d love to have any of those jobs those people claim to have!
What course are you studying and when do you graduate? Have you been networking a lot?
Bazyli
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What course are you studying and when do you graduate? Have you been networking a lot?
So I’m going to study geography at LSE next year, I’m on my gap year atm and I have a full-time job at a consultancy firm. They’ve luckily agreed to me working part-time next year too. I’ve got around 30 contacts on LinkedIn, mostly from my company but I’ve also managed to secure an internship this summer at a business advisory firm this summer so hopefully I’ll make a few more contacts there🙂
Vits1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm aspiring to get into investment banking just because I'd like to earn a lot to retire at an earlier age. I'd like to be earning about £250,000 by the time I retire. But since it's very competitive, there's no guarantee i'll get in.

But that's not stopping me from trying
front office?
Infinite Series
  • Answer Heroes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Vits1)
front office?
Front Office is the only way to make over £200,000 in IB. I'm pretty sure VPs in the middle office aren't likely to make more than £170k.
Plus, I need the transferrable skills from FO to land a higher paying job at a Boutique Bank.
SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So I’m going to study geography at LSE next year, I’m on my gap year atm and I have a full-time job at a consultancy firm. They’ve luckily agreed to me working part-time next year too. I’ve got around 30 contacts on LinkedIn, mostly from my company but I’ve also managed to secure an internship this summer at a business advisory firm this summer so hopefully I’ll make a few more contacts there🙂
why would u go study geography? not finance or economics seems like a pointless degree geo
Ryan_Clarke
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can’t bring myself too look at the latest pay scales as it’ll just make me cry so whatever a Specialty Registrar in the NHS Earns. Sub 30 I imagine.
Last edited by Ryan_Clarke; 1 week ago
Bazyli
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SJW-)
why would u go study geography? not finance or economics seems like a pointless degree geo
It still has really good employment prospects and interests me a lot more
Infinite Series
  • Answer Heroes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SJW-)
For Investment Banking, going to a 'target university' is more important than your degree.
I know someone who studied 'French and English' at UCL (a target IB uni) who then landed a job in investment banking. The banks mainly look for transferrable skills in applicants as they know that if you're smart, you can be taught how do the job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (11)
5.82%
No (178)
94.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed