Is it normal to not speak up? Watch

Lostalien
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I have been with my boyfriend for 6 months now and I go to his place all the time. I like his family but whenever his friends come over I feel uneasy because I don’t speak French that well and even if I understand i cannot speak up. So that’s always concerning me, I’m normally a shy girl and an unconfident girl, but with them I don’t speak at all. I always ignore the games they play or sometimes stay by myself at a corner with my phone.
Lilligant22
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
So, what? They all speak in French while you're there, just an English speaker? Do they speak English? If so, that's quite rude of them. I know how it feels. It's very ignorant and can make you feel anxious.

I had the same problem with two of my friends I'd chilled with (brother and sister) and sometimes they'd start chatting in their own language while I'm literally in the middle of them ??? I finally told the sister about it and she stopped doing it, it was such a relief.

I'd mention it to him if it upsets you. Hopefully he will understand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (56)
8.16%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.48%
No, but I want to start (257)
37.46%
No, I am unable to (163)
23.76%
No, I chose not to (193)
28.13%