choosing between drama or DT for GCSE Watch

emmaas
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hi everyone,
I am currently in year 9 and picking my GCSE options (I'm so nervous) I have decided on my other options which are history and Spanish. I am stuck whether to choose drama or DT textiles. I like both drama and DT textiles and have read some information about the both pros and cons of the subjects. I really have no idea what to choose and desperately need some advice on maybe someone who has some experience of the subjects? I just have no idea what to choose!
thank you so much!
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Whichever you prefer honestly

But I do DT and it is ALOT of theory. We've been in the only workshop once (I'm in year 10).
If you don't like the theory element of it, then do not pick DT.
So far, we've done things like smart materials, different types of production, sustainability, carbon footprint, ergonomics / anthropometrics etc.
NetNeutrality
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bill Nye)
Whichever you prefer honestly

But I do DT and it is ALOT of theory. We've been in the only workshop once (I'm in year 10).
If you don't like the theory element of it, then do not pick DT.
So far, we've done things like smart materials, different types of production, sustainability, carbon footprint, ergonomics / anthropometrics etc.
idk how much coursework there is but i do food tech and it felt like a lot of theory in year 10 but thats cus we covered the theory in year 10 and were doing the coursework and compared to other subjects its nowhere near as much content to learn
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by NetNeutrality)
idk how much coursework there is but i do food tech and it felt like a lot of theory in year 10 but thats cus we covered the theory in year 10 and were doing the coursework and compared to other subjects its nowhere near as much content to learn
At the moment we're doing a mock nea, which apparently our teacher is willing to take as long as up to the end of the year to complete (as it will help our real nea) and we have not covered much of the theory so it's not looking great but hey
Eibba-chu
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I do BTEC drama but for my first year (im in year 10) i was on the GCSE course and there wasnt a lot of written work but there wasnt little either, but what we had to do i found quite easy as you had to write an analysis of a play/production you watched this was easy purely for the fact it was like anaysis in english lit. You would talk about the effects certain lines or lighting changes or sounds had on the audience, so you can just write how it made you feel. You also have simple questions that may ask terminology ie you could be given a picture of a stage and asked to identify whether it is thrust, end-on, or in-the-round. Any questions feel free to ask!
emmaas
Rep:
?
At the moment we're doing a mock nea, which apparently our teacher is willing to take as long as up to the end of the year to complete (as it will help our real nea) and we have not covered much of the theory so it's not looking great but hey
do you enjoy it? is it hard or boring becuase i really dont know what to choose between DT textiles or Drama!
emmaas
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eibba-chu)I do BTEC drama but for my first year (im in year 10) i was on the GCSE course and there wasnt a lot of written work but there wasnt little either, but what we had to do i found quite easy as you had to write an analysis of a play/production you watched this was easy purely for the fact it was like anaysis in english lit. You would talk about the effects certain lines or lighting changes or sounds had on the audience, so you can just write how it made you feel. You also have simple questions that may ask terminology ie you could be given a picture of a stage and asked to identify whether it is thrust, end-on, or in-the-round. Any questions feel free to ask!

(Original post by Eibba-chu)
I do BTEC drama but for my first year (im in year 10) i was on the GCSE course and there wasnt a lot of written work but there wasnt little either, but what we had to do i found quite easy as you had to write an analysis of a play/production you watched this was easy purely for the fact it was like anaysis in english lit. You would talk about the effects certain lines or lighting changes or sounds had on the audience, so you can just write how it made you feel. You also have simple questions that may ask terminology ie you could be given a picture of a stage and asked to identify whether it is thrust, end-on, or in-the-round. Any questions feel free to ask!
thanks so much for replying! do you enjoy drama ? i have pros and cons for both drama and dt so im really not sure what to choose. any thoughts?
NetNeutrality
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ah we did those too but they didnt take ridiculously long lol
Zasty
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
DT
Eibba-chu
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by emmaas)
(Original post by Eibba-chu)I do BTEC drama but for my first year (im in year 10) i was on the GCSE course and there wasnt a lot of written work but there wasnt little either, but what we had to do i found quite easy as you had to write an analysis of a play/production you watched this was easy purely for the fact it was like anaysis in english lit. You would talk about the effects certain lines or lighting changes or sounds had on the audience, so you can just write how it made you feel. You also have simple questions that may ask terminology ie you could be given a picture of a stage and asked to identify whether it is thrust, end-on, or in-the-round. Any questions feel free to ask!

thanks so much for replying! do you enjoy drama ? i have pros and cons for both drama and dt so im really not sure what to choose. any thoughts?

I do enjoy doing drama its fun and i get to go to the theater often. My friend does DT and she reckons it crap (but don't let that change your mind) because her class ended up doing a lot of theory since she has a lot of tw*ts in her class.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (81)
14.16%
Yes - a food allergy (60)
10.49%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.62%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (15)
2.62%
No (401)
70.1%

Watched Threads