Which will be the next high street shops to go? Watch

Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
There have been a few high street chains that have gone over the last few months, with patisserie valerie being one of the latest. Luckily HMV was saved, but a few of their stores will still close.
Which high street chains do you think will be the next to go?
And why?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think HMV's a gonner in 12-24 months

foreign management teams have a miserable track record of overestimating their ability to run British retailers better than the original management could... and the same goes for British retailers trying to take over foreign ones.
modifiedgenes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can see Boots and Argos going if I am honest.

WH Smiths at least have a fairly unique offer that aren't provided by the internet.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
Debenhams is on dodgy ground.
Valerie looks like its being bought by Costa/Coke.
modifiedgenes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Debenhams is on dodgy ground.
Valerie looks like its being bought by Costa/Coke.
Agree, Debenhams, M and S, department stores are all shaky I think. Some branches must make money but some certainly don't and will be occupying very valuable retail properties.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've had a WH Smiths gift voucher in my bag since Christmas 2016 so that can go
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
I think £5 world will go.
I dont know if this chain is everywhere, but near where i live, there was a £5 world appeared in the shop where £1 world used to be after that went. When i went to my nearest city shopping, there was a £5 world there too.
But the shop (at least the one near me anyway) seemed constantly deserted. I went in once and the stuff they were selling was only marginally better than £1 world stuff, but they were being sold at £5.
I really cant see it lasting.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm hoping waterstones, paperchase, whsmiths and boots.
Terrible customer service and expensive.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I've had a WH Smiths gift voucher in my bag since Christmas 2016 so that can go
Dead on the high street but has repositioned itself into travel and concessions in stations, so its actually growing.

WH Smith travel 'masterstroke'

"WH Smith continued the theme we’ve been seeing for some time. The High Street division is suffering but it’s been more than made up for by an excellent performance in travel," says Neil Wilson, chief Market Analyst for Markets.com.

"Underinvestment in the rather sorry High Street side of the business should not detract from the fact that WH Smith is building a strong brand in travel that has significant room to grow overseas.

"This significantly reduces its exposure to the ailing UK High Street – a strategy that increasingly looks like a masterstroke. While High Street footfall is coming off, global air travel passenger growth is only growing rapidly. This leaves WH Smith well positioned for the next few years."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/ce8jr869nwkt/whsmith
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by modifiedgenes)
I can see Boots and Argos going if I am honest.

WH Smiths at least have a fairly unique offer that aren't provided by the internet.

The Boots near me is looking pretty worn out and unstaffed

Argos was a high tech marvel ahead of its time in terms of IT and distribution until the internet and in particular Amazon happened.
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Debenhams, Next, Argos, B&Q (if that counts).

I don't think New Look is doing too well either?
Last edited by MinaBee; 1 week ago
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm going to put my money on Post Office. Do enough people really need access to Royal Mail services with printable postage labels at home and stamps available in virtually every shop now? Corner shops now handle bills and benefit payments, too. My local Post Office shop randomly closed down for three weeks, then just as randomly reopened not too long ago. Something's amiss.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Dead on the high street but has repositioned itself into travel and concessions in stations, so its actually growing.

WH Smith travel 'masterstroke'

"WH Smith continued the theme we’ve been seeing for some time. The High Street division is suffering but it’s been more than made up for by an excellent performance in travel," says Neil Wilson, chief Market Analyst for Markets.com.

"Underinvestment in the rather sorry High Street side of the business should not detract from the fact that WH Smith is building a strong brand in travel that has significant room to grow overseas.

"This significantly reduces its exposure to the ailing UK High Street – a strategy that increasingly looks like a masterstroke. While High Street footfall is coming off, global air travel passenger growth is only growing rapidly. This leaves WH Smith well positioned for the next few years."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/ce8jr869nwkt/whsmith
Well, I didn't know that!
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
Urs veeb dying on the high street forever as it cant compete , tries to do everything, but fails. I knew about concessions in things like train stations where they cna charge extra but makes sense at airports etc. Perhaps in 20 years they wont have a high street presence. Be nifty if they switch like that.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
Its been dying on the high street forever as it cant compete , tries to do everything, but fails. I knew about concessions in things like train stations where they can charge extra but makes sense at airports etc. Perhaps in 20 years they wont have a high street presence. Be nifty if they switch like that.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its been dying on the high street forever as it cant compete , tries to do everything, but fails. I knew about concessions in things like train stations where they can charge extra but makes sense at airports etc. Perhaps in 20 years they wont have a high street presence. Be nifty if they switch like that.
Yeah, it's rubbish on the high street, I literally never go in apart from airports, as you say, when I want to buy a book and sweets for the plane
modifiedgenes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not convinced anything on the high street is safe. Even Tesco have been given a bloody nose by Aldi and co lately. It would only take some celebrity endorsed diet to crash Costa and their sugar laden treats as well.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
tbh Waitrose are not going to be able to find customers for their expensive food. much of their product will be unavailable due to the Brexit goat****.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The HMV in exeter shut down pretty out the blue the other day which is quite sad. Can see Debenhams and Argos going too soon
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Malevolent)
The HMV in exeter shut down pretty out the blue the other day which is quite sad. Can see Debenhams and Argos going too soon
HMV has been saved, but there are still a few that are closing. Luckily my local one is staying open, but i read that one of the ones that is closing is the one on oxford street. That one was surprising.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/bur...burton-2509750
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (42)
12%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
11.14%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (10)
2.86%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.57%
No (250)
71.43%

Watched Threads