Religious Studies should be a facilitating subject. Discuss Watch

A level RPP
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Let's evaluate...I think/belive/hold that it should be!!!
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by A level RPP)
Let's evaluate...I think/belive/hold that it should be!!!
If universities don't commonly ask for RS then it's not facilitating. End of.

That's not to say RS is looked down upon by anybody, it just isn't asked for specifically in university entry requirements very much (if at all)

The list is fairly meaningless. Pick subjects according to what's required by the university you want to attend and pick the ones you actually enjoy.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 year ago
jonathanjames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Certainly challenging enough at a level, facilitating subjects are only introduced by the government and a petty excuse to separate the "real" subjects from others. What they don't realise is perhaps philosophy equipsnyouneith far more skills thank say biology or English, it should be
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jonathanjames)
Certainly challenging enough at a level, facilitating subjects are only introduced by the government and a petty excuse to separate the "real" subjects from others. What they don't realise is perhaps philosophy equipsnyouneith far more skills thank say biology or English, it should be
It has nothing to do with the government. It's just a list drawn up by the Russell Group.

And a prospective biology undergraduate is hardly going to pick philosophy instead of biology A-Level are they. The usefulness of a subject is a personal matter.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 year ago
A level RPP
Rep:
?
WELL..RS develops critical analysis and evaluation and argumentative skills and is a good a level to take along all 3 sciences or maths...it is all about the world in the sense that religion is a major factor and is the only reason why were on this earth- for God!!!
username4310824
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's already a respected subject. It doesn't have to be on the facilitating list.
A level RPP
Rep:
?
(Original post by MinaBee)
It's already a respected subject. It doesn't have to be on the facilitating list.
Yes it does!!! CAn I go to oxford with a level rs, psych and politics???
username4310824
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sure, if you get the grades.

Most of the time grades matter more than what you're studying (as long as you aren't doing critical thinking, general studies, etc). RS, psychology and politics are good subjects.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes. Friend of mine got in with Latin, history and politics. Another one got an offer that didn't exclude drama, and that was for PPE.

The problem with your post is that you don't know what a facilitating subject is. It's not a list of "subjects you have to take in order to go to uni".
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Russell Group list of facilitating subjects is very short:
• Biology
• Chemistry
• English literature
• Geography
• History
• Physics
• Modern and classical languages
• Maths and further maths

Choosing them at A-level leaves open a wide range of options for university study, but it is not a closed list upon which is listed every good, sound academic A-level subject. In fact the Russell Group itself stresses that there are other A-level subjects which provide suitable preparation for entry to university generally, but which are not included within the facilitating subjects, because there are relatively few degree programmes where an A-level qualification in these subjects would be a requirement for entry. Examples of such subjects include Art, Economics, Music, Religious Studies and Welsh.

The Religious Studies A-level is an excellent choice for 6th Form, and as an essay-based subject it is very well respected for uni entry. It's just that it isn't specified for any degree courses (even for religion and theology!).

Take it by all means, and use it to get into one of our best universities.
Last edited by 学生の父; 1 year ago
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Non-facilitating doesn't mean it's not respectable. Facilitating literally means it will enable students to have the most amount of doors open for them for university courses.
A level RPP
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Yes. Friend of mine got in with Latin, history and politics. Another one got an offer that didn't exclude drama, and that was for PPE.

The problem with your post is that you don't know what a facilitating subject is. It's not a list of "subjects you have to take in order to go to uni".
Facilitating subjects are ones you take that will equip you for a wide range of jobs
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
WELL..RS develops critical analysis and evaluation and argumentative skills and is a good a level to take along all 3 sciences or maths...it is all about the world in the sense that religion is a major factor and is the only reason why were on this earth- for God!!!
Oh, I was wondering why we are here
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Facilitating subjects are ones you take that will equip you for a wide range of jobs
Not entirely, OP! I'm not sure how many jobs an A-level in Classical Greek (one of the facilitating subjects) will get you.

It's not about the vocational acumen, but rather simply what A-levels are the most useful (facilitating) for getting you on to undergraduate degree courses. That's all. Full stop (or άνω τελεία as you might say in ancient Greek).

Please don't get too overwrought about it. RS is a very useful subject which can teach very useful analytical skills, as well as knowledge. It just won't get you on to any specific degree courses. It is not 'facilitating' in the narrowest Russell Group meaning of the word.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.71%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (237)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise