The Student Room Group

Online MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at University of York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
As far as I know, there is no difference in your diploma. It's not differentiated as OMS or MS. It's MS for all. Your future employer can differentiate it only if he checks the transcript (probably will take a look while talking to his secretary about his lunch). Computer Science at York is a VERY demanding course, don't be fooled, and it's NOT for everyone as the course the pace is extremely fast (JAVA in 2 semesters book given in 2 months!) and difficult.
Original post by RMM555
As far as I know, there is no difference in your diploma. It's not differentiated as OMS or MS. It's MS for all. Your future employer can differentiate it only if he checks the transcript (probably will take a look while talking to his secretary about his lunch). Computer Science at York is a VERY demanding course, don't be fooled, and it's NOT for everyone as the course the pace is extremely fast (JAVA in 2 semesters book given in 2 months!) and difficult.

The York one is an Msc. The Georgia Tech one looks like an OMS.
Original post by Yourmainmancj
There is no second module per say they just put you on any module that's a available at the time, so software engineering is your next module.

Thank you!
Original post by RMM555

But that being said, don't be discouraged if you're interested! The only uni level maths I had before enrolling was Statistics, and I'm doing very well in the MSc. No calculus, discrete maths, etc. are hard requirements prior to starting (although of course having these might give you an advantage). The courses are inherently quite interesting, and you can find many supplemental learning materials to help you out (e.g. Udemy is a gold-mine).
How was the AI exam? harder than the first module or the same?
How was the AI exam? harder than the first module or the same?

It actually ended up being quite reasonable. The last question I was not expecting, and probably totally messed up. It was worth 15 points out of 100. It was about counting the number of neurons and weights in Convolutional Neural Networks, and was based on one of the questions from one quiz. But otherwise I found it ok, I did really well on the propositional logic part so I think that made up for it.

Btw thanks for that Udemy course you mentioned earlier, I got it and watched key parts; it really helped with my IDDFS/DFS/BFS comprehension!
Original post by *tj_nova*
It actually ended up being quite reasonable. The last question I was not expecting, and probably totally messed up. It was worth 15 points out of 100. It was about counting the number of neurons and weights in Convolutional Neural Networks, and was based on one of the questions from one quiz. But otherwise I found it ok, I did really well on the propositional logic part so I think that made up for it.

Btw thanks for that Udemy course you mentioned earlier, I got it and watched key parts; it really helped with my IDDFS/DFS/BFS comprehension!

That's good to hear,glad it went well, I imagine that was probably the hardest module we'll get so i assume from here its going to be plain sailing =)
Really enjoying this thread, some very useful information. Thanks.

I have a quick question for those who are studying the course, might be difficult to answer seeing as you guys are the first to take it and you haven't finished yet.

Will the words "online" or "distance learning" feature anywhere on the certificate or transcript once the course is completed?

The sales rep who I was talking on the phone to earlier on in the year gave me a suspiciously quick answer saying no, the certificate and transcript will be identical as the ones received by on-campus students. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks.
Original post by BillMurray
Really enjoying this thread, some very useful information. Thanks.

I have a quick question for those who are studying the course, might be difficult to answer seeing as you guys are the first to take it and you haven't finished yet.

Will the words "online" or "distance learning" feature anywhere on the certificate or transcript once the course is completed?

The sales rep who I was talking on the phone to earlier on in the year gave me a suspiciously quick answer saying no, the certificate and transcript will be identical as the ones received by on-campus students. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks.

Its mentioned on the transcript but not on the actual certificate. I've checked with quite a few employers and they say that the online thing doesn't matter and they in fact expect your msc to be online now as this is the new trend for computer science MSc degrees.
Its mentioned on the transcript but not on the actual certificate. I've checked with quite a few employers and they say that the online thing doesn't matter and they in fact expect your msc to be online now as this is the new trend for computer science MSc degrees.

Thanks! Any idea where on the transcript it is mentioned? On every module?

If you're on the course, do you know if online students can take advantage of office hours to get help from lectures in person just like on campus students do?

I think I could take one or two trips up to York once or twice a semester.
Thanks! Any idea where on the transcript it is mentioned? On every module?

If you're on the course, do you know if online students can take advantage of office hours to get help from lectures in person just like on campus students do?

I think I could take one or two trips up to York once or twice a semester.

Its just mentioed on the "mode of study" part which will say online. As for office hours, online communication is basically 24/7 at york so if you asked a lecturer a question now they sometimes reply instantly. Its great in that respect.
Its just mentioed on the "mode of study" part which will say online. As for office hours, online communication is basically 24/7 at york so if you asked a lecturer a question now they sometimes reply instantly. Its great in that respect.

That sounds really helpful.

But I still like the idea of being able to go in and talk face to face with the lectures responsible for delivering the modules. Especially when it comes to your supervisor for the final project/dissertation part of the module.

I guess I want to know if online students are entitled to the same access to the department and university that on-campus students are obviously entitled to?

I also am curious about how letters of recommendation would work after completion. I'd want to use this degree to enhance my chances at gaining a PhD position, I would need academic references. I would ask of course, but I don't know how lecturers would feel about writing letters of recommendation concerning people they have never met. That's another reason why I'm curious if online students are allowed to organise face to face office hours with lecturers.

But I still like the idea of being able to go in and talk face to face with the lectures responsible for delivering the modules. Especially when it comes to your supervisor for the final project/dissertation part of the module.

I guess I want to know if online students are entitled to the same access to the department and university that on-campus students are obviously entitled to?

I also am curious about how letters of recommendation would work after completion. I'd want to use this degree to enhance my chances at gaining a PhD position, I would need academic references. I would ask of course, but I don't know how lecturers would feel about writing letters of recommendation concerning people they have never met. That's another reason why I'm curious if online students are allowed to organise face to face office hours with lecturers.

Oh I see what you mean. Online students are welcome on Campus, i'm sure if you organised a 1 to 1 with a module tutor they'll be more than willing to help. Even though we are online students we have access to all the things a campus student would have so there will not be any problem in that respect.

As for letters of recommendation i think it would be the same as any other uni really. You could also use your undergrad proffs?
As for letters of recommendation i think it would be the same as any other uni really. You could also use your undergrad proffs?

Thanks! I only have one CS professor I could use for a reference currently, my undergraduate degree was not in a related subject. I already completed a MSc in Computer Science (Conversion). But I got a filthy capped grade and a disgusting 42% "tolerated fail" for the Algorithms and Data Structures module :frown:
Is it possible to study just one module, pay, get the credits and a transcript showing the grade? The website does state you pay by the module, I'm thinking that if I enroll on the course, take the Algorithms and Data Structures module, pass, and then quit the course.

I simply want to take the Algorithms and Data Structures module, I have a CS degree and got a "tolerated fail" grade in that area!

Anyone know whether this would be possible? Thanks.
Is it possible to study just one module, pay, get the credits and a transcript showing the grade? The website does state you pay by the module, I'm thinking that if I enroll on the course, take the Algorithms and Data Structures module, pass, and then quit the course.

I simply want to take the Algorithms and Data Structures module, I have a CS degree and got a "tolerated fail" grade in that area!

Anyone know whether this would be possible? Thanks.

Absolutely. You would just apply/get accepted, register for the course and take/finish it, and then quit. The only trick would be finding out the next time when ADS was offered. I started my program end of June and it was the first course I took, if that's any help.
Reply 617
Hi, has anyone considered the comp sci at Northumbria? It has modules on databases, which I think York is missing, as well as having been accredited by BCS as partially meeting the requirements to be an IT chartered professional, again something that the York course doesn't offer (according to the adviser I was in contact with).
Very helpful thread.

Is there a marking scheme/guidance for the exams themselves?

At Uni, I found writing to format a lot more challenging than grasping the material. I am wondering, will our grades be predominantly judged on understanding or are things like writing style/grammar heavily weighted?

Coming from a social sciences background, it seemed that writing style was more important than your answer. What lecturers were willing to tolerate varied dramatically and I don't fancy finding out the hard way.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks
Original post by errrrok
Very helpful thread.

Is there a marking scheme/guidance for the exams themselves?

At Uni, I found writing to format a lot more challenging than grasping the material. I am wondering, will our grades be predominantly judged on understanding or are things like writing style/grammar heavily weighted?

Coming from a social sciences background, it seemed that writing style was more important than your answer. What lecturers were willing to tolerate varied dramatically and I don't fancy finding out the hard way.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks

Writing style / grammar will be taken into account in some of the Practical Assignments. They need to be comprehensible. As for the exam, they are predominantly activities such as making diagrams, identifying search patterns, listing time complexities, writing something in pseudocode, listing the frontier nodes in a search, etc., as well as a number of multiple choice questions. So, writing and grammar aren't really too applicable there. The exams are worth 70% of your grade, so this is where the lion's share of marks are to be earned. I wouldn't worry about writing and grammar issues too much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending