A-level options Watch

nia0306
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I’m currently in year 11 and need to choose A-level options. I think I want to go into law in the future but aren’t completely sure so want to keep my options slightly open. My first three a level choices are Maths, French and Spanish but I don’t know whether to do History or Biology for my fourth. I enjoy biology however history could be useful for law. The thing is with history is a)I don’t know if I’ll enjoy it as haven’t done it for GCSE and b)if I do biology I can keep my options open a bit.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrysbar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by nia0306)
I’m currently in year 11 and need to choose A-level options. I think I want to go into law in the future but aren’t completely sure so want to keep my options slightly open. My first three a level choices are Maths, French and Spanish but I don’t know whether to do History or Biology for my fourth. I enjoy biology however history could be useful for law. The thing is with history is a)I don’t know if I’ll enjoy it as haven’t done it for GCSE and b)if I do biology I can keep my options open a bit.
History is quite a useful A level for developing some of the skills you might use in a Law degree, but it's not a required A level, so if you have doubts about it, don't feel that you have to pick it. If you know that you enjoy Biology and you are good at it, I would pick that subject.
学生の父
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
There are two ways into law: either take a Law degree, with professional placement following; or take a regular degree followed by a one year conversion course.

I checked out the A-level requirements for LLB (or BA Law) degrees at my usual ABCDE universities:
Aberystwyth - BBB with a GCSE C (4) in English or Welsh
Birmingham - AAA including two preferred subjects (all of your choices are included)
Cambridge - A*AA, useful to have an essay-based subject
De Montfort - 120 points with a GCSE C (4) in English (Language or Literature) and Mathematics
East Anglia - AAB with a GCSE C (4) in English Language and Mathematics

You can try it yourself with your choice if unis.

But the upshot is, you don't need to take History, although some unis prefer an essay-based subject.
stephsmhb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If you want to go to a top uni to study law i would suggest at least one essay based subject (Doesn't have to be history, it could be english etc.) However certain sixth forms don't allow you to take it if you didn't do it at gcse and it may take you a while to catch up as gcse is meant to be a guide to the Alevel. Biology is also a very good alevel but Maths, French and Spanish are facilitating subjects so there is no need to take biology just to keep your options open as all of them keep your options open. Most scientific degrees prefer chemistry anyway so if you are taking bio for the sole purpose of keeping your options open to science i suggest not to do that. Are you better at humanities or STEM subjects because i have a friends that took biology for a level just cos she liked it but she was much better at the humanities, english and french and she got 2 A's and a C in biology. It is important that you take the subject because you like it but also make sure you are being reasonable with your ablities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.47%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.65%
No, but I want to start (189)
35.8%
No, I am unable to (123)
23.3%
No, I chose not to (152)
28.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise