should I choose drama for GCSEs Watch

emmaas
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hi! I was wondering if any of you have any experience in GCSE Drama and if you like it or not because I'm in year 9 contemplating it for GCSE. I don't know if I should choose drama or DT. is there a lot of written work in drama, is it boring or is it fun, will it lead on to further experiences in the future (for jobs and things) all of these choices is stressing me out lol, its so hard!
thanks for the help! x
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by emmaas)
hi! I was wondering if any of you have any experience in GCSE Drama and if you like it or not because I'm in year 9 contemplating it for GCSE. I don't know if I should choose drama or DT. is there a lot of written work in drama, is it boring or is it fun, will it lead on to further experiences in the future (for jobs and things) all of these choices is stressing me out lol, its so hard!
thanks for the help! x
There is some written work in drama GCSE but not as much as English or History! It's quite a fun GCSE for most people, not too hard. I can't say it leads to many jobs but it's good for making you feel more confident about working with people in a team, which is a useful skill for most jobs
emmaas
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
There is some written work in drama GCSE but not as much as English or History! It's quite a fun GCSE for most people, not too hard. I can't say it leads to many jobs but it's good for making you feel more confident about working with people in a team, which is a useful skill for most jobs
thanks for replying! its a really tuff choice but yeah it would really elp with public speaking etc i suppose. thank you!
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
thanks for the help! x
Hey! I did drama for GCSE and A -level. I did enjoy it however i would consider it to be one of the hardest subjects i have done so far. It is fun and very rewarding but can also be heavily theoretical as well. Its good for jobs because it shows your creativty. Hope this helps!
Sophia
emmaas
Rep:
?
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hey! I did drama for GCSE and A -level. I did enjoy it however i would consider it to be one of the hardest subjects i have done so far. It is fun and very rewarding but can also be heavily theoretical as well. Its good for jobs because it shows your creativty. Hope this helps!
Sophia
thanks for replying! everyone here is so nice, you've been a great help! does drama involve a lot of writing? thanks again
emma
shinzo435
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
thanks for the help! x
The only thing I can really say that it has it's tough moments. I'm doing OCR so I can only speak for this exam board where there are 3 components:
Devising
Scripted work
Exam based assessment

Exam involves a script you looked at for months and you have to know it inside out. The exam is nothing like you would expect, involving questions about staging, character potrayal and design. And then there's section B which involves an evaluation of live theatre. The paper is hard, but if you know your text inside out, it's easy and long as you can clarify in a what/how/why structure in the evaluation, it's easy.

Devising is no fun group dynamic wise but it is something exciting. Involves a portfolio, and make sure you put in everything you do, and I mean everything. Look at some examplars for get a feel. ALthough the OCR ones have low grades, the comments are useful in helpping you boost. The group will hate each other from the stress of it all, but in the end, it will all pay off and you'll be best of friends again. You can't expect your group to get you your scores, you have to work for it.

Scripted, well I'm a bit torn. I love scripted work, but if you get a naturalistic script, it's hard to space it. It is fun to develop character, and I think I am enjoying this component the most.

It's an awesome qualification, but you musn't think it's an easy subject. You have to work, but it's really rewarding. I would recommend, if you are okay with creating a portfolio and writing an exam and a pro forma for the scripted.

It's not as bad as it this might have made it sound. It's very good and exciting and it helps you get a hold of yourself too, keeping you grounded and gets you to really think, especially when you have to improv. I would recommend it.
emmaas
Rep:
?
(Original post by shinzo435)
The only thing I can really say that it has it's tough moments. I'm doing OCR so I can only speak for this exam board where there are 3 components:
Devising
Scripted work
Exam based assessment

Exam involves a script you looked at for months and you have to know it inside out. The exam is nothing like you would expect, involving questions about staging, character potrayal and design. And then there's section B which involves an evaluation of live theatre. The paper is hard, but if you know your text inside out, it's easy and long as you can clarify in a what/how/why structure in the evaluation, it's easy.

Devising is no fun group dynamic wise but it is something exciting. Involves a portfolio, and make sure you put in everything you do, and I mean everything. Look at some examplars for get a feel. ALthough the OCR ones have low grades, the comments are useful in helpping you boost. The group will hate each other from the stress of it all, but in the end, it will all pay off and you'll be best of friends again. You can't expect your group to get you your scores, you have to work for it.

Scripted, well I'm a bit torn. I love scripted work, but if you get a naturalistic script, it's hard to space it. It is fun to develop character, and I think I am enjoying this component the most.

It's an awesome qualification, but you musn't think it's an easy subject. You have to work, but it's really rewarding. I would recommend, if you are okay with creating a portfolio and writing an exam and a pro forma for the scripted.

It's not as bad as it this might have made it sound. It's very good and exciting and it helps you get a hold of yourself too, keeping you grounded and gets you to really think, especially when you have to improv. I would recommend it.
aw thanks so much for this, everyone here is so nice taking time out of their day to write something for me, you wrote so much! you informed me with so much i didnt even know. im also considering dt textiles and im guessing you might not know much about that as a GCSE subject but i cant decide which one to take, its so hard lol. i enjoy both but have pros and cons for both of them. do you like drama as a gcse subject? does it get boring sometimes or is it a fun/interesting subject? thank so much again!
shinzo435
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
aw thanks so much for this, everyone here is so nice taking time out of their day to write something for me, you wrote so much! you informed me with so much i didnt even know. im also considering dt textiles and im guessing you might not know much about that as a GCSE subject but i cant decide which one to take, its so hard lol. i enjoy both but have pros and cons for both of them. do you like drama as a gcse subject? does it get boring sometimes or is it a fun/interesting subject? thank so much again!
Always happy to help, I wish I had someone when I chose my options! I think I regretted taking drama when I felt like my teacher didn't like me (that was just an issue on my side turns out she does), but I think even though I'm not going to study it further it really was the best (nearly) 2 years of my life, and I wouldn't change it. It definitely helps with boosting confidence and actually helps me in the weirdest day to day as the use of improv in a way is something you use every day. I don't do textiles, but I have a friend in my drama who does textiles and drama. Our school does AQA or Edexcel Textiles I'm not quite sure, but both involve a lot of coursework. She is struggling a little bit, with having to learn 2 script extracts and making her coursework, but because she enjoys it she's doing okay. It's really up to you if you're willing to work hard. I don't regret taking drama, even when it gets frustrating having to go things over and over
emmaas
Rep:
?
Always happy to help, I wish I had someone when I chose my options! I think I regretted taking drama when I felt like my teacher didn't like me (that was just an issue on my side turns out she does), but I think even though I'm not going to study it further it really was the best (nearly) 2 years of my life, and I wouldn't change it. It definitely helps with boosting confidence and actually helps me in the weirdest day to day as the use of improv in a way is something you use every day. I don't do textiles, but I have a friend in my drama who does textiles and drama. Our school does AQA or Edexcel Textiles I'm not quite sure, but both involve a lot of coursework. She is struggling a little bit, with having to learn 2 script extracts and making her coursework, but because she enjoys it she's doing okay. It's really up to you if you're willing to work hard. I don't regret taking drama, even when it gets frustrating having to go things over and over
Yeah it must be hard kepping up with all the work! i hope ill be able to do it when the time comes! Does your friend enjoy textiles? But thank you so much anyway i just cant get over how kind everyone here is, its making me feel a lot better in picking them and the actual thought of doing them lol <3
shinzo435
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah it must be hard kepping up with all the work! i hope ill be able to do it when the time comes! Does your friend enjoy textiles? But thank you so much anyway i just cant get over how kind everyone here is, its making me feel a lot better in picking them and the actual thought of doing them lol <3
She enjoys textiles yeah, it's a bit stressful, but I don't know anymore than that as I chose completely different. What other options have you got?
emmaas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
She enjoys textiles yeah, it's a bit stressful, but I don't know anymore than that as I chose completely different. What other options have you got?
ive also got drama which I've hear is quite a stressful subject
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (74)
13.73%
Yes - a food allergy (58)
10.76%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.78%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (15)
2.78%
No (377)
69.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise