Help choosing A evels Watch

Starjalsha
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi,
I really have no idea what my fourth A level should be and I don’t know which career I would like. I’ve decided to choose maths, further maths and physics for my first three subjects. Maths and further maths because its my favourite subject and physics because of my ability and the overlap with maths. I would say I like all my gcse subjects (apart from maths) equally which is why I am struggling to choose a fourth subject. I have narrowed it down to chemistry, dt product design, economics, latin or french.
Pros and cons for each:
Chemistry- I like it right nowbut i have heard it is a lot harder at A level
DT - I enjoy it a lot but the coursework is taking up so much time and i am terrible at drawing which could make A level really difficult
Economics- It sounds really interesting but it would be a new subject and I don’t know how useful it would be seeing as I don’t know what career I would go into.
Latin- I enjoy it a lot right now and am pretty good at it but I am not that good at writing so the longer answers may be hard and I might find it boring next year.
French- I like it a lot right now but I do find it difficult a lot of the time and I don’t know how useful a language A level is when I could learn the language by living in France.
I would be really grateful if everyone could give me suggestions of which subject I could choose or just general information about the subjects I am considering for next year.
Thanks!
harrysbar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Starjalsha)
Hi,
I really have no idea what my fourth A level should be and I don’t know which career I would like. I’ve decided to choose maths, further maths and physics for my first three subjects. Maths and further maths because its my favourite subject and physics because of my ability and the overlap with maths. I would say I like all my gcse subjects (apart from maths) equally which is why I am struggling to choose a fourth subject. I have narrowed it down to chemistry, dt product design, economics, latin or french.
Pros and cons for each:
DT - I enjoy it a lot but the coursework is taking up so much time and i am terrible at drawing which could make A level really difficult
Economics- It sounds really interesting but it would be a new subject and I don’t know how useful it would be seeing as I don’t know what career I would go into.
Latin- I enjoy it a lot right now and am pretty good at it but I am not that good at writing so the longer answers may be hard and I might find it boring next year.
French- I like it a lot right now but I do find it difficult a lot of the time and I don’t know how useful a language A level is when I could learn the language by living in France.
I would be really grateful if everyone could give me suggestions of which subject I could choose or just general information about the subjects I am considering for next year.
Thanks!
I wouldn't pick DT for the reasons you have given, although it could be somewhat useful for Engineering (so could Chemistry for Chemical Engineering, if that's a branch that interests you at all?)

As you are doing 4 subjects (are you sure you really want to do that?) I feel that Economics would be a good choice as you would probably find it easier than the other subjects, and it would help develop other, written skills further. You may really enjoy it and feel that you want to go down the Business and Finance route career-wise.

If you haven't already read it, I can recommend the book "Freakonomics" as a light hearted introduction to Economics.
bubblecat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
don’t do a fourth a level, simple.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Akived
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Starjalsha)
Hi,
Pros and cons for each:
Thanks!
In my opinion, I think you should first gather more info on chemistry and economics because you cannot just cut chemistry from your options because you heard it is difficult (try to clear the facts...maybe..it just requires a little bit of more hardwork.)

As for economics, personally I found economics as a really good subject.Also economics do provide a lot of career opportunities. So... I think you should think about it too. 😊

You have expressed your lack of satisfaction in case you go for languages. So I just wanna tell you that whatever you take, just make sure you enjoy it.😊😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.47%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.65%
No, but I want to start (189)
35.8%
No, I am unable to (123)
23.3%
No, I chose not to (152)
28.79%