The Student Room Group

Maths or Physics?

I do not know which subject to take to A-level, either Maths or Physics. This will be my third subject, with Biology and Chemistry. Which one is more similar to GCSE? I got an 8 in both, but need an A or A* so I do not know which is best for me. I enjoy learning Maths more than Physics, but do struggle in Maths sometimes.
Reply 1
In physics, you'll study many of the topics covered at GCSE in a bit more depth whereas most of the stuff you'll cover in the maths is brand new. You should choose maths. The three subjects combined will meet the requirements for most science courses when applying to university.
if you like maths more then pick maths :smile: i struggle too with it sometimes but it's just a matter of practice and perseverance!
Original post by entertainmyfaith
if you like maths more then pick maths :smile: i struggle too with it sometimes but it's just a matter of practice and perseverance!

I feel Maths will be hard work, but definitely worth it. All it takes is hard work! Is it at all similar to GCSE Maths?
Original post by s.xw
In physics, you'll study many of the topics covered at GCSE in a bit more depth whereas most of the stuff you'll cover in the maths is brand new. You should choose maths. The three subjects combined will meet the requirements for most science courses when applying to university.

Good point about universities. I hated some of the GCSE Physics content, so I definetely would not enjoy it! Thank you :smile:.
Original post by lmtkr
I feel Maths will be hard work, but definitely worth it. All it takes is hard work! Is it at all similar to GCSE Maths?

yeah, kinda- topics at the beginning you'll be familiar with and they'll just be introducing new concepts within them at first, then going onto completely new stuff later on.
Original post by lmtkr
I do not know which subject to take to A-level, either Maths or Physics. This will be my third subject, with Biology and Chemistry. Which one is more similar to GCSE? I got an 8 in both, but need an A or A* so I do not know which is best for me. I enjoy learning Maths more than Physics, but do struggle in Maths sometimes.

Take both of them. Drop the one you do worse in at as level

Quick Reply

Latest