Milseymoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Help me with any ideas for a criminology dissertation. Any ideas on anything are appreciated right now!!!
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Milseymoo)
Help me with any ideas for a criminology dissertation. Any ideas on anything are appreciated right now!!!
grooming gangs of asian men attacking young, white girls?
HollyGee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi,

What I would say is, start off by thinking of a vague topic that you enjoyed covering in your classes or that you know you're interested in anyway. It has to be something that you want to research for or you'll lose motivation so fast. Then start to read around it, and begin narrowing down your topic. For example, being interested in youth offending to I am interested on the effect green space can have on youth offending.

You will hopefully find a gap in the literature, that's where you should resesarch. For example, if there is a lot about male youth offending, but not much about females, you could say- the literature does not talk much about female offenders, so I will invetigate the effect green space has on them.

This is very hypothetical, but what I was advised to do. Most importantly it needs to be a subject that you care about, and that is different for everyone. Hope this helps!

Holly
Milseymoo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thankyou this is very helpful. I am interested in serial killers like nature vs nurture (but unsure what research I could do) but also the police as I am training to be a special constable. Any ideas of what I could do around these ??
HollyGee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You could look at nature versus nurture, but to be honest if you want to talk to serial killers that’s going to be really hard ethically. Because you need ethical clearance to do everything. You could do documentary analysis? If you don’t know what that is, thats where you talk about the content of a documentary or look specifically at the words they use (this is called discourse analysis). You could also look at how serial killers are portrayed in film and tv, for example surveying how people react to such characters.With the police, that is very much less my area, but you could do a lot with it. Definitely start reading around this if you want to do police, because it’s still quite wide, but if you have a specific thing you think of you could do that.Just my ideas anyway. I hope this helps! Good luck 😉
NetworkProblem
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Are you an Undergraduate student or a Postgraduate student?

As someone has already suggested, think about areas that interest you and do some wider reading, looking for gaps in the literature that you can develop into a research study.

Also think about what is expected. For instance, are you required to undertake primary research, or can you rely on secondary sources?

I think serial killers will be a difficult subject to cover, depending on what you wanted to do. There are options for the police though. You could look at something around:

Perceptions of Appropriate Adults?
Institutional Racism? - The Macphearson Report highlighted the need for greater representation of BAME officers in order to strengthen community relations. However, there is still disproportionate numbers of serving BAME officers.
Application of Police Discretion?
Multi-Agency Working?

I'm not saying that one of these topics is something you have to cover, more just to offer some areas for further investigation to see what already exists, etc.
smegsxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'd also add contemporary issues are really great in a dissertation, mine is currently to do with UK police and the Macphearson Report and it's a really interesting and topical case. I love the idea of serial killers too, content analysis might be good here due to the recent rise in documentaries about many prolific serial killers!
Milseymoo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thankyou, what is the Macphearson report and can I ask what your dissertation title is ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate