Getting braces Watch

skyriver66
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm getting braces sometime soon (haven't actually made the appointment yet) and I'm 15. I'm extremely scared because I've been reading about all these problems and difficulties that people have with them and it's honestly depressing and terrifying (e.g. not being able to talk properly, not eating certain foods, getting them tightened regularly). Can somebody who has had/currently has braces just give me some reassurance? I'm freaking out.
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by skyriver66)
I'm getting braces sometime soon (haven't actually made the appointment yet) and I'm 15. I'm extremely scared because I've been reading about all these problems and difficulties that people have with them and it's honestly depressing and terrifying (e.g. not being able to talk properly, not eating certain foods, getting them tightened regularly). Can somebody who has had/currently has braces just give me some reassurance? I'm freaking out.
I’ve had braces and these things are only temporary. When you get braces fitted you can only eat soft foods but thats only for a day or two then you can go back to eating your normal foods. The talking bit takes a bit of getting used to but i don’t think it took me more than a week to adjust. Honestly braces aren’t as bad as you think.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
nah man there are people with braces that talk properly. It's true you can't eat apples unless cut for example but is less of a big deal than you think.

It IS painful for your inner cheek if you don't cover that end of the wire with some wax (and no more pain ) and you may feel some discomfort for your teeth sometimes but that just means it's working .

What you should really be worried about is your dental hygiene and if you don't already flossing is a must (and sadly those back teeth too) and also large food will be stuck between your braces so remove those with water/mouthwash before. Flossing the back teeth may be difficult but maybe there is some sort of water/air flosser that can make it easier. Also make sure to brush after every meal (flossing can be done once a day) and your teeth should be good. you need to floss anyway and I see people getting cavities between teeth because they don't but with braces you need more because larger food can get stuck so more food for mouth bacteria.

But really you will get used to it and won't even notice you ave braces until you remove them! Not as bad as people make it to be but you still need to care a bit more for your teeth.

If you stay with your crooked teeth there will be more (possibly serious) dental problems coming up so better braces here :P.

Good luck, not that you need it :P.
skyriver66
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by TheTroll73)
nah man there are people with braces that talk properly. It's true you can't eat apples unless cut for example but is less of a big deal than you think.

It IS painful for your inner cheek if you don't cover that end of the wire with some wax (and no more pain ) and you may feel some discomfort for your teeth sometimes but that just means it's working .

What you should really be worried about is your dental hygiene and if you don't already flossing is a must (and sadly those back teeth too) and also large food will be stuck between your braces so remove those with water/mouthwash before. Flossing the back teeth may be difficult but maybe there is some sort of water/air flosser that can make it easier. Also make sure to brush after every meal (flossing can be done once a day) and your teeth should be good. you need to floss anyway and I see people getting cavities between teeth because they don't but with braces you need more because larger food can get stuck so more food for mouth bacteria.

But really you will get used to it and won't even notice you ave braces until you remove them! Not as bad as people make it to be but you still need to care a bit more for your teeth.

If you stay with your crooked teeth there will be more (possibly serious) dental problems coming up so better braces here :P.

Good luck, not that you need it :P.
Thank you, I feel better after reading this. People are overdramatic I guess.
Chloee2020
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Oh my life. Braces XD Don't get me started.

I only had them on for just under 2 years but i actually really enjoyed having them, even with the pain i thought they were great. Believe it or not when you do get them taken off you miss them, i really miss mine and wish i had them back on, what i didn't enjoy was my RETAINER!!!

NOW THAT IS THE WORST THING EVER!!!! Braces are nothing compared to retainers, especially if you forget to put them in overnight.

Braces are no biggie, the worst thing that can happen is you either break one of them (i broke mine about 5 or 6 times believe it or not) or the wire is too long and stabs you a bit, even then you just need the end snipping off.

With my braces i could eat anything, hard sweets (I'm British so it's sweet not candy to me), popcorn, chocolate, meats, anything.

Aslong as your brush regular (I recommend an electronic brush rather than manual) and you take care of the braces you'll be fine.
justarosexo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
people are overdramatic lol, what you've heard is probably the worst that could happen. I'm a year older than you so I know how you'll be feeling, but trust me its not that bad once you get used to them. its different for everyone. like people told me your lips/mouth goes bigger, mine didn't. you have difficulty talking, i definitely haven't lol. I've only found it hard to eat when i first got them for about a week, and every time i get them tightened i find it difficult to eat for a few days. I've had cuts and stuff on the inside of my cheeks but try applying glycerin to them before you go sleep, and when you wake up the cuts are a LOT better trust me. the cuts aren't that bad - don't want to scare you i'm towards the end of my treatment (a few months left) but trust me it isn't as scary as you might be thinking, towards the end you feel the excitement of getting them removed for those perfect teeth
Alesha1991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I wore braces for a couple of years when I was around your age. For me it was just the first few days/ couple of weeks that were uncomfortable. After that I just got used to them & it didn't really affect my life much- I think it was definitely worth it looking back, when I first got braces I was self conscious about them & didn't want to wear them but at the same time really didn't like how my teeth looked & it was good to see the improvement in them over time.
GetTheLondonLook
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It just hurts when they tighten them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (63)
8.33%
I used to but I don't now (19)
2.51%
No, but I want to start (281)
37.17%
No, I am unable to (185)
24.47%
No, I chose not to (208)
27.51%