I'm self teaching My A levels, how can I predict grades for ucas applications Watch

Mixedraceguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey, I'm 17 I'm self teaching and currently studying for AS Chemistry, Maths, Accounting, I will then go on to A level after I have sat my AS exams

I have predicted myself CCD how can prove that these grades are realistic for me when I apply for unis as a private candidate? Can I base this on my AS grades which I'll get in August and do I need someone to clarify that im working at this level ?
esrever
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mixedraceguy)
Hey, I'm 17 I'm self teaching and currently studying for AS Chemistry, Maths, Accounting, I will then go on to A level after I have sat my AS exams

I have predicted myself CCD how can prove that these grades are realistic for me when I apply for unis as a private candidate? Can I base this on my AS grades which I'll get in August and do I need someone to clarify that im working at this level ?
As far as I know, you cannot predict your own grades.

Do you have any former teacher or tutor who knows you well and can provide predictions? If not, email universities and ask them if a parent can write your reference and provide predictions.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by esrever)
As far as I know, you cannot predict your own grades.

Do you have any former teacher or tutor who knows you well and can provide predictions? If not, email universities and ask them if a parent can write your reference and provide predictions.
I have a maths tutor who I see once a week, I don't have a chemistry tutor rn I also have an accounting tutor but I don't see her regularly
What should I do? Find a chemistry tutor dosome AS exam papers and hand them in to my tutors, and they can predict me grades?
esrever
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have a maths tutor who I see once a week, I don't have a chemistry tutor rn I also have an accounting tutor but I don't see her regularly
What should I do? Find a chemistry tutor dosome AS exam papers and hand them in to my tutors, and they can predict me grades?
Maybe you can ask your maths tutor to consult your accounting tutor for the accounting grade predictions. I am not too sure of your chemistry predictions though. There are some issues with doing past papers because they are already available to everyone (there's no guarantee that you haven't seen a particular past paper before). Check if you have any other way of obtaining chemistry predictions. Perhaps you can email unis and ask if they will accept chem predictions from a maths tutor?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by esrever; 1 week ago
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by esrever)
Maybe you can ask your maths tutor to consult your accounting tutor for the accounting grade predictions. I am not too sure of your chemistry predictions though. There are some issues with doing past papers because they are already available to everyone (there's no guarantee that you haven't seen a particular past paper before). Check if you have any other way of obtaining chemistry predictions. Perhaps you can email unis and ask if they will accept chem predictions from a maths tutor?
Ive only looked at the specimin papers, which I set myself mocks i did last week and graded myself, My maths tutor says he's got access to last years paper 1 and he'll invidulate while I complete it under exam conditions. I think for chemistry if I do May 2017s past papers which I haven't seen he can mark it he'll just need the mark scheme and grade boundaries
I will contact some unis and find out if they will accept a predicted from him

The mad thing is, I want to apply to do Chemistry at uni, possibly start with a foundation degree and so it's essential that I have a chemistry prediction and I'll need to do well in my practical assessment and of course the practical skills questions in this year's AS Chemistry papers
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You’re misunderstanding the problem.

You need someone who will write your reference. Speak to your tutors to find out if they are willing to provide you with a reference. If they are then you THEN need discuss with them whether they’re willing to provide you with predictions (and if they are what they want to base that are).

You can apply without predicted grades. You can’t apply without a reference.
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You’re misunderstanding the problem.

You need someone who will write your reference. Speak to your tutors to find out if they are willing to provide you with a reference. If they are then you THEN need discuss with them whether they’re willing to provide you with predictions (and if they are what they want to base that are).

You can apply without predicted grades. You can’t apply without a reference.
Oh I see now, I'm pretty sure my maths tutor will give me a reference as he tutored me for gcse maths in year 11 last year so he knows me quite well

What exactly do I have to do when I click apply for course? Personal statement, reference details?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh I see now, I'm pretty sure my maths tutor will give me a reference as he tutored me for gcse maths in year 11 last year so he knows me quite well

What exactly do I have to do when I click apply for course? Personal statement, reference details?
When are you expecting to start university?

If it’s 2020 then this May you will be able to register for Apply2020 on the UCAS website and start working through what’s needed. You have plenty of time and the ucas site and TSR has lots of information to help if you get stuck.

Talk to your tutor about getting a reference, order some prospectuses and book into some university open days in May/June/July.
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
When are you expecting to start university?

If it’s 2020 then this May you will be able to register for Apply2020 on the UCAS website and start working through what’s needed. You have plenty of time and the ucas site and TSR has lots of information to help if you get stuck.

Talk to your tutor about getting a reference, order some prospectuses and book into some university open days in May/June/July.
I'm expecting to start in 2020, thanks for that information
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (10)
5.35%
No (177)
94.65%

Watched Threads