How much do the mocks determine your actual GCSE Watch

alineyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
For example, yes I got x grade in my mocks, but I was only able to get that grade because I have seen a lot of the exact questions. However, in reality there is going to be a whole new set of questions and I’m not like extremely smart

In short- how important are they anyway
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by alineyy)
For example, yes I got x grade in my mocks, but I was only able to get that grade because I have seen a lot of the exact questions. However, in reality there is going to be a whole new set of questions and I’m not like extremely smart

"How important" are what? Mocks or actual GCSEs?

Mocks can help highlight areas of weakness and strength to help guide your revision to focus on your weaker areas, but by "cheating" you've reduced their usefulness for that...

Posted from TSR Mobile
mp__786
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

They're called 'mocks' for a reason, it don't count for any of your GCSE's
What did you expect.
JUST REVISE YOU SCHMUCK
nintysixthousand
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
mocks can be useful if you try hard, but they dont have to correlate. in a lot of my mocks i got C grades, and got mostly B grades in my final exams. however in some like english, i went from a D to an A.
they are quite representative but obviously you can do a lot in the time between to change your grade!
shinzo435
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

They are just a useful tool to see where to improve and you should treat it as such. Just cause, lets say I got a 9 in my History mocks, I'm not going to get that again without putting in the work
macaroon_vans
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Mocks don't matter at all, in terms of your real GCSE grade. They're just a way for you (and ur school) to see whether you're ready for the ones in may, or whether you need to revise more.
I stressed so much about them, and my friends did too, but they don't actually mean much. Aso, I saw those qs online too - they tell us to go do practise Qs online and give us the same ones!!
mpaprika
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my friend got a D in her Welsh mock and came out with an A* in August
Watermelona
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mocks aren't important at all so feel free to ignore your results but they are often a good guideline to what you should get. Withmno revision that will most likely be your grade but with strong revision you could push up an extra grade or even 2! Very unlikely that any more than that would ever happen - onoy rare circumstances. I would just recommend using them as a reality check, dont get too complacent and good luck
hungrywhale21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got a mixture of 6s and 7s in my December mocks and then ended up getting mostly 8s and 9s; the way you revise changes over the year and you learn to do more efficient revision so it's not impossible - if you put the work in - to go up two or even three grades between January and May
Watermelona
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hungrywhale21)
I got a mixture of 6s and 7s in my December mocks and then ended up getting mostly 8s and 9s; the way you revise changes over the year and you learn to do more efficient revision so it's not impossible - if you put the work in - to go up two or even three grades between January and May
Well done! Congratulations, theyre amazing scores
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (81)
14.16%
Yes - a food allergy (60)
10.49%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.62%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (15)
2.62%
No (401)
70.1%

Watched Threads