Medicine (A100) - Applying without A levels. Watch

Sainterr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys, I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Can anyone reccomend any universities that will consider me for Med school without traditional A-levels.

I studied a BTEC in applied science at college a few years ago and got D*D* (280 Ucas) but this is honestly only for decoration. It appears in reality it is worth NOTHING.

I then went to Uni and studied 3 years to get a BSc Hons Degree in Podiatry at 2:1 level.

I am glad I have a degree but I cant go any further now without actually going back to UNI to take a traditional A level. The Uni's rightfully dont take BTEC seriously (nor would I).

Does anyone know which universities would consider me for A100 with my current qualifications and 4 years post graduate experience working in the NHS as a podiatrist.

I feel like I am hitting a wall and cant realistically go do two years of A levels to get into Uni on top of 5 years med school.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Sainterr)
Hey guys, I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Can anyone reccomend any universities that will consider me for Med school without traditional A-levels.

I studied a BTEC in applied science at college a few years ago and got D*D* (280 Ucas) but this is honestly only for decoration. It appears in reality it is worth NOTHING.

I then went to Uni and studied 3 years to get a BSc Hons Degree in Podiatry at 2:1 level.

I am glad I have a degree but I cant go any further now without actually going back to UNI to take a traditional A level. The Uni's rightfully dont take BTEC seriously (nor would I).

Does anyone know which universities would consider me for A100 with my current qualifications and 4 years post graduate experience working in the NHS as a podiatrist.

I feel like I am hitting a wall and cant realistically go do two years of A levels to get into Uni on top of 5 years med school.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Have you considered graduate entry medicine?

I think the largest course is run by Warwick Uni with about 200 places - i don't think they look at gcse and A level grades.

There are others. If you Google "graduate entry medicine medic portal" i think there's a list there.
Sainterr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hey thanks for the advice,

While I did consider graduate entry, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get a UKCAT score above 700ish. Most graduate entries just want a high UKCAT score and they forget about everything else.

Also I am happy to take a bit more time doing the 5 years to do it properly. I appreciate doing it in 4 years is incredibly rushed.

I need to find an A100 that will accept my 2:1 Degree + UKCAT.
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Sainterr)
Hey thanks for the advice,

While I did consider graduate entry, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get a UKCAT score above 700ish. Most graduate entries just want a high UKCAT score and they forget about everything else.

Also I am happy to take a bit more time doing the 5 years to do it properly. I appreciate doing it in 4 years is incredibly rushed.

I need to find an A100 that will accept my 2:1 Degree + UKCAT.
I'm not too sure what your options are but here's a link to the minimum entry requirements for each Med School.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

Re UKCAT, I know someone who increased their score from mid 600's to mid 700's from one year to the next. They say that practice doesn't improve your scores, but personally I've seen examples where it does. I also know someone who's actual test score was about 50 higher than their best practice score. It may be worth taking it to see how you do - nothing will be lost. A lot of people recommend Medify for practice, which is relatively cheap compared with others.

Also quite a few Med Schools use GAMSAT for graduate entry rather than UKCAT. It suits some people more than others - I've heard it needs more science knowledge though.

My knowledge of graduates applying is fairly minimal, but for undergraduate school leaver entry there are some Med schools who have quite low UKCAT thresholds to gain interview. For example, Keele and Plymouth have had thresholds below 600 in recent years. It may be worth looking at those first. Sunderland is a new Med School and have adopted Keele's processes - both have a heavy emphasis on demonstrating personal skills through work and life experience. You would have to check whether you meet their minimum requirements though.

Not sure if any of that will help at all
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (35)
12.41%
Yes - a food allergy (32)
11.35%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
3.19%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.19%
No (197)
69.86%

Watched Threads