Will I have fun at imperial college ?? Watch

lowen1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have received an offer from imperial to study biochemistry next year. I know I should go there as I know it will set me up but I’m wondering what the social scene is like? I’ve heard that nobody goes out and has a life but idk if that’s true. Please help as having a good social life is very important to me
markyw12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm literally worrying about the exact same thing haha.
lowen1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by markyw12)
I’m so stressed about it and having no friends to go out with
markyw12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lowen1234)
I’m so stressed about it and having no friends to go out with
If I get my preference college at Durham I'm likely to pick it over ICL for that exact reason. Its gonna be a difficult decision though cus its 3rd in the World for Civil Engineering lol.
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have received an offer from imperial to study biochemistry next year. I know I should go there as I know it will set me up but I’m wondering what the social scene is like? I’ve heard that nobody goes out and has a life but idk if that’s true. Please help as having a good social life is very important to me
you will not have anything that resembles a social life in Imperial. people go there to get a good degree from a world famous uni. the good news is that the 3 years will fly ridiculously fast.
lowen1234
Rep:
?
If I get my preference college at Durham I'm likely to pick it over ICL for that exact reason. Its gonna be a difficult decision though cus its 3rd in the World for Civil Engineering lol.
Yeh I have bristol which I am considering over it but an icl degree will be better but I also don’t wanna have a bad 4 years
markyw12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
you will not have anything that resembles a social life in Imperial. people go there to get a good degree from a world famous uni. the good news is that the 3 years will fly ridiculously fast.
Oh god is it really that bad???
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh god is it really that bad???
honestly degrees from imperial are a lot of work (as they are from any uni) so the lack of a social life will only affect the 10% of your time you could even devote to one. the main problem with imperial is the low student satisfaction rather than the social life. but as someone who has graduated, do not underestimate the importance of how quickly the time will fly. one term/semester is like 15 weeks before exams but the benefits of an imperial degree will be enduring
lowen1234
Rep:
?
honestly degrees from imperial are a lot of work (as they are from any uni) so the lack of a social life will only affect the 10% of your time you could even devote to one. the main problem with imperial is the low student satisfaction rather than the social life. but as someone who has graduated, do not underestimate the importance of how quickly the time will fly. one term/semester is like 15 weeks before exams but the benefits of an imperial degree will be enduring
So is there no social life at all? Is everyone ok with having no life
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
of course there is a social life... but it's not going to be Leeds or Newcastle is it!
ElleCee
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hey, so I'm currently in my second year at Imperial and I see people worrying about this a lot so figured I'd respond! Obviously yes, it may not be as much of a social life as at a different uni purely because there is more work involved in the degree, however, the idea that there is no social life at all is very much false. Whilst you do get some people who don't go out at all and spend all their time studying, you will also find a large amount who enjoy drinking and going out. I know people who go clubbing at least once a week, whereas I also know people who have never been out since being at imperial - it really depends on what you want to do. Personally, I will go out and do something with friends at least once a week - whether this is drinking, going out for a meal or going on a random outing, and I'm still finding lots of time to actually focus on my work! Hope this helps a bit (and isn't just my vaguely drunk rambling)
lowen1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by ElleCee)
Hey, so I'm currently in my second year at Imperial and I see people worrying about this a lot so figured I'd respond! Obviously yes, it may not be as much of a social life as at a different uni purely because there is more work involved in the degree, however, the idea that there is no social life at all is very much false. Whilst you do get some people who don't go out at all and spend all their time studying, you will also find a large amount who enjoy drinking and going out. I know people who go clubbing at least once a week, whereas I also know people who have never been out since being at imperial - it really depends on what you want to do. Personally, I will go out and do something with friends at least once a week - whether this is drinking, going out for a meal or going on a random outing, and I'm still finding lots of time to actually focus on my work! Hope this helps a bit (and isn't just my vaguely drunk rambling)
Thank you this helps so much! I talked to someone else who said the exact same thing so I’m confident now I’ll be ok
Idg a damn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
First of all , congrats! I am a prospective imperial engineering student so I have the exact same question in my mind

Second of all, gonna keep watch on this thread for any survival tips regarding ICL!
uponthyhorse
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I don't know what some of you guys are on about, there's constantly bar nights, pub crawls and people are out Friday, Wednesday and sometimes Tuesday nights. The reason it's not a total sesh fest with drugs and alcohol every night is because to get into here you were most likely very smart and able to focus on your work, so people tend to be inclined to actually care about and put some effort into their course. Just find the balance.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Sounds like you guys are guaranteed to find at least one friend there.
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by uponthyhorse)
I don't know what some of you guys are on about, there's constantly bar nights, pub crawls and people are out Friday, Wednesday and sometimes Tuesday nights. The reason it's not a total sesh fest with drugs and alcohol every night is because to get into here you were most likely very smart and able to focus on your work, so people tend to be inclined to actually care about and put some effort into their course. Just find the balance.
but isn't the other major factor being London isn't a student city?
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
It's London (and Imperial is in the nicest part of the city!), there are loads of things to do.

Maybe the party scene isn't quite the same as in other places but it's nonsense to say that you won't have a life, university is what you make of it really. London has loads of other universities too, and you have the opportunity to meet people from everywhere through societies, sports clubs, nights out etc.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
but isn't the other major factor being London isn't a student city?
Apart from the 400k students spread across 39 higher education institutions.
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
but it's not the same is it
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
but it's not the same is it
I don’t know what you’re looking for really. What do you get in a “student city” that you don’t have in London?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (3)
3.49%
No (83)
96.51%

Watched Threads