options if college will not let me sit one of my exams Watch

lumix1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
My son is currently studying 3 A-levels at a local college. He's had a few issues with the teacjing staff but all was well and was predicted with C-Bs across the board until a few weeks ago when he had his mock results. He did pretty badly in one of them and it now looks like the college will not let him sit the final exam. He's asked them to explain where he mucked up, but they have not come back to him about it. Apparently is attitude to work has now gone from good ( at parents evening in late November) to unsatisafactory in 10 hours of teaching.
What are his options if they will not let him sit the final exam? Can he take it somehere else so as not to impact on their precious results. I have no idea. It will be a waste of 2 years as the uni he wanted to go to will not let him enrol unless he at least sits the exam.

Loking for some suggestions please
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by lumix1)
My son is currently studying 3 A-levels at a local college. He's had a few issues with the teacjing staff but all was well and was predicted with C-Bs across the board until a few weeks ago when he had his mock results. He did pretty badly in one of them and it now looks like the college will not let him sit the final exam. He's asked them to explain where he mucked up, but they have not come back to him about it. Apparently is attitude to work has now gone from good ( at parents evening in late November) to unsatisafactory in 10 hours of teaching.
What are his options if they will not let him sit the final exam? Can he take it somehere else so as not to impact on their precious results. I have no idea. It will be a waste of 2 years as the uni he wanted to go to will not let him enrol unless he at least sits the exam.

1. Arrange to meet with him and the college as soon as possible. His college would not threaten such a serious sanction unless they were very unhappy with him in the affected subject or are absolutely convinced he cannot cope with all 3. For whatever reason he hasn't been able to resolve things himself and so needs your help (even if he doesn't want it). He needs to be able to explain/demonstrate how he is going to turn around his mock results. He could ask if they would enter him and test him again before Easter so he can show he is making improvement.
2. If they are determined not to enter him for all 3 then you could pay and enter him elsewhere for one as a private candidate. You would have to find a school, college or private centre that would accept him for the same subject/examiner. It a very late in the day to try to arrange this as many schools/colleges will have already begun to do their entries to meet the 21/Feb deadline and may no longer accept external candidates or will charge the much higher fees for late entries.
Last edited by gdunne42; 5 days ago
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by lumix1)

Agree with the above but his own school might enter him if you offer to pay. Get in there quick and talk to them.

Maybe ask for another mock and get the paper back - he is entitled to proper feedback.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.47%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.65%
No, but I want to start (189)
35.8%
No, I am unable to (123)
23.3%
No, I chose not to (152)
28.79%