Mature student applying to SOAS Watch

Worth73
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am a mature student currently studying an Access to HE Humanities diploma, I have applied for a place on the BA African Studies degree programme and have 6 credits at Merit so far. I am starting to gain Distinctions now and I am planning to carry on doing so.
Does anybody know if, being a mature student, SOAS ever lower the grade criteria for mature students doing this degree?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Surely most people studying Access to HE courses are mature students?

SOAS will have set the requirement at 30 distinctions for a reason - I can't see why they'd lower it for you just because you're a mature student, when the vast majority of Access applicants will also be mature students.

If you get an offer, and then miss it by one or two credits, they may well choose to be flexible and let you in anyway, but there's no guarantee.
basil24
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello it's my first time posting here so please bear with me. I am mature student studying Ba International Relations at SOAS. Similar to you I got accepted through an Access to HE Humanities Diploma. Although SOAS stated the requirement was 30 credits at distinction, I was accepted with less. As long as you make a strong application and demonstrate you are engaged in the field you want to study they will look favourably on your application. It has been tough balancing family responsibility, work and studies but it has been an enjoyable experience. Many of my fellow students and staff are friendly and approachable.
mollyxoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by basil24)
Hello it's my first time posting here so please bear with me. I am mature student studying Ba International Relations at SOAS. Similar to you I got accepted through an Access to HE Humanities Diploma. Although SOAS stated the requirement was 30 credits at distinction, I was accepted with less. As long as you make a strong application and demonstrate you are engaged in the field you want to study they will look favourably on your application. It has been tough balancing family responsibility, work and studies but it has been an enjoyable experience. Many of my fellow students and staff are friendly and approachable.
If you don't mind me asking, what were your end results of your diploma if you say you got accepted with less? I am also doing an Access to HE humanities/social sciences, glad to hear you are enjoying your experience at SOAS!
basil24
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by mollyxoo)
If you don't mind me asking, what were your end results of your diploma if you say you got accepted with less? I am also doing an Access to HE humanities/social sciences, glad to hear you are enjoying your experience at SOAS!
I got accepted with 24 credits at distinction and the rest at merit. I e-mailed the undergraduate office right after my results came through and they told me not to worry and I should keep checking UCAS for updates. My personal statement was strong and that's what got me admission at SOAS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
57.02%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.33%

Watched Threads