Has anyone made the move from Medicine to Teaching? Watch

ukguy999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello all,

I am in year 4 of 6 of medical studies to become a doctor but often yearn to become a schoolteacher. When I was in Sixth Form it was the time in my life when I was truly and utterly happy, studying the humanities. I would like to know if anyone has made the move from working as a doctor to a teacher, especially teaching English and history. I have been considering doing further study in the humanities once I graduate as this could make me eligible for a PGCE.

I know this post may confuse many as medicine is such a prestigious and well-paid career, but for me my happiness is most important.

Thanks very much,

J
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Before you make such a drastic jump, it would be a good idea to fully investigate the realities of teaching in the UK at the moment. Being a school student is very different to being a teacher in school and you'd spend a lot of time teaching students who don't take the same joy in your subject that you do.

If you want to study English or history, then by all means do so, but I would consider researching other career options as well.
ukguy999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Before you make such a drastic jump, it would be a good idea to fully investigate the realities of teaching in the UK at the moment. Being a school student is very different to being a teacher in school and you'd spend a lot of time teaching students who don't take the same joy in your subject that you do.

If you want to study English or history, then by all means do so, but I would consider researching other career options as well.
Hi, I am definitely open to other career options as well. I’ve been doing very well academically in medicine but I feel so depressed at the thought of continuing it for even a few more months. I would hope my academic ability would shine through if applying for jobs in other areas.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads