Studied psychology? Is there content about dopamine and serotonin in the degree?

Watch
geniusiq139
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to apply to study psychology at University for 2020 entrance. I am really interested in concepts relating to neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin, and the effect of those on mood, functioning and mental health.

I want to know if this is a topic covered on a psychology degree. If so, to what depth is it covered? Is there a lot on it? Or is it a brief section of the degree.

I know each University has different content. But if you could just mention which Uni you studied at, and what the content was like on that course.
username2657095
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m currently in my first year studying psychology at Loughborough. In the first semester, I selected an optional neuroscience module, so there was a lecture in that which covered six major neurotransmitters.

I’m doing the compulsory biological psychology module this semester, which I gather will also have some content on neurotransmitters. It’s quite brief, and not covered in a whole lot of detail but it’ll definitely come up over different points in the course.
PurpleHills
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm 4th yr at Leeds uni. Neutotransmitters are covered throughout my degree, I.e. in Biological psychology, behavioural neuroscience and some social psychology lectures, as well as selected modules like the bio psych of appetite.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by geniusiq139)
I want to apply to study psychology at University for 2020 entrance. I am really interested in concepts relating to neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin, and the effect of those on mood, functioning and mental health.

I want to know if this is a topic covered on a psychology degree. If so, to what depth is it covered? Is there a lot on it? Or is it a brief section of the degree.

I know each University has different content. But if you could just mention which Uni you studied at, and what the content was like on that course.
If you're interested, get reading now. There are popular science books like Why Zebras don't get Ulcersby Robert Sapolsky. Suggesting that one as you're somewhat unlikely to be recommended that in Psychology circles.

The topics for your own reading on neurotransmitters are very accessible indeed once you work out the initial jargon. They can seem inaccessible with words like synaptic cleft and multiple things to say the same thing. Another problem is the american/english words where you see epinephrine/adrenaline norepinephrine/noradrenaline are interchangeable. There are multiple abbreviations for things like the serotonin transporter called SERT vs other times 5-HTT. If you google you'll see things like 'the monoamine hypothesis of depression', the 'dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia' and 'glutamate hypothesis of schizophrenia'.

The reading for GABA and ACh is less accessible than if you read up on noradrenaline, dopamine and serotonin.

I suspect you might be disappointed on some courses, the two universities around here do very little on it (if that's typical?) other than the basics what is dopamine, what are the problems when dopamine is high, symptoms etc. I've met several even master's students that said they did the 'biology' of depression and anxiety on their master's and disappointingly only touch on the very basics (they would disagree)- they know what an SSRI is, they know what the HPA axis is, but can't draw it out in detail. Interesting stuff, shame it doesn't go further. For some reason I cannot fathom, noradrenaline doesn't seem to feature too much in these courses, which is very odd.
Last edited by marinade; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.48%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (78)
28.26%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (102)
36.96%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (35)
12.68%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.62%

Watched Threads