OASC March 3rd 2019 Watch

isaac.weber123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, is anyone at RAF Cranwell for OASC on 3rd March 2019?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by isaac.weber123; 1 month ago
raf.hopeful
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Issac

Yes I will also be attending OASC on that date, hows the prep going?
What role are you applying for?
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m applying as a WSOp linguist, you? And the prep is going well but finding the individual planning exercises quite difficult
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Oh really? RPAS is really cool, where will you be based for that? And I’m guessing ID, documents, PE kit and suit? How are you scoring on the fitness?
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Wow you’ll have a good life then! I might even see you at Waddington! And yeah similar on fitness to you. I know what you mean about the amount to learn as well, for current affairs I’ve got about 10 topics with about an A4 page of information for each, have you done something similar?
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Also, what have you prepared regarding air power? It just seemed a bit unclear to me, so I’ve got the definition, roles and components , and how each RAF aircraft fits into its categories
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Hopefully RAF Waddington but as my role is a linguist I’m likely to be posted around the world. With your current affairs, have you mostly concentrated on NATO and military stuff? I’ve got a bit of a mixture of that, then more controversial topics like recreational cannabis being legalised in Canada.

What current operations are you doing if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve got Op Shader and QRA (though not really an operation) and then a humanitarian one too in Cyprus.
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
If you play football I might see you on the team! And ah I see yours are kind of similar to mine in that it’s balanced between political/military and smaller events. I should probably revise a few more operations then like you. How have you been preparing for the individual planning exercises?
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Right wing/ striker, you? And yeah that’s a good shout, I feel like one of my topics may be becoming a little irrelevant. I knew about Toral, Kipion and Trenton but as you say there’s hardly any information about them. That’s why I chose Shader as it’s the biggest, and then QRA because there’s a lot of information on it. How did you find the planning exercise in the guide notes?
raf.hopeful
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nice, I’m a goalkeeper. Yeah I know like brexit will be relevant till the end of time haha not sure on some of the others tho. Yeah that’s not bad thinking, I’m just going to rattle off a few and take it as it comes and if the question me loads on it I’ll jsut be honest and say there’s not a great deal of info to be found on certain operations. I actually haven’t heard of QRA so I’ll look into that one for sure. It was very helpful and challenging, I didn’t manage to complete it in the 20 minute time I’d set myself but came closebut reading the different answer on how to do it really opened to my eyes so it’s been good, not found much else online but in fairness I haven’t looked extensively recently due to work commitments and time constraints.

What are you most confident about and nervous about?
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
True haha! Tbh I’ve heard that at OASC it’s a quicker interview and it’s not so in depth, they just checking you’ve been keeping up to date I think. It sounds as though we’ve done enough. And yeah that’s a good shout, I think they penalise you if you start blagging your way through the interview. And QRA = quick reaction alert (typhoons being scrambled to intercept a threat in airspace).

I’ve found other planning exercises online in other forums but they’re very old though :/ I’m most confident about fitness, then the interview but dreading the individual planning. I’m unsure about the command tasks as I’m great at working in a team, but I’m a bit nervous that I won’t know how to actually solve the problem when it’s me that is leading! What about yourself?
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Oh really? Do we have to literally learn it week by week? I don’t know it like that but instead have learnt the whole training process including my professional training? I’ll be traveling from Lancaster in the North West, you?
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Wow that’s amazing I didn’t realize you actually get to fly! And ah that’s going to be a long drive for you then! It’s about 2.5 hrs for me
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Ouch :// and I’m 20, you?
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
True true, and 1st day get there, chill out - I think there’s a briefing at 6pm. 2nd day is all the planning exercises i think and command tasks, then the interview is the last day I think with fitness and medical then too
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Have you visited any RAF stations to get an insight into your role? I haven’t and I’m slightly worried it will be held against me
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Yes it does seem a little strange that we haven’t had more information about it? If I get any other emails I’ll let you know. And yeah that seems more likely.
raf.hopeful
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah I asked my AFCO and they said they wouldn’t be supply any more information which I found odd so I guess I’ll be over packing my stuff. Yeah man I’ll do the same too. Yeah I wouldn’t stress too much about not visiting any bases.

One thing I did see that I wasn’t sure on was if we can retake our OASC if we fail??
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
So you’re just going to take documents, ID and PE kit? And I think you can retake OASC but you can only come back 12 months later :/
isaac.weber123
Rep:
?
Hold on, we had to keep hold of our CBAT results?! But yeah I’ll be taking the same as you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (35)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.3%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.92%

Watched Threads