Is a-level further maths a good idea?? Watch

odjoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
i'd love to have someone tell me what to pick for a-level and have it over with, but it's never that simple )

I'm in year 11, choosing my a-levels. When I say I want to do further maths, everyone winces a bit, say it's too hard or narrows my prospects too much (in context, im looking at maths, physics and further maths for my 3, and the school doesn't allow 4 subjects). then there's the hippies that say do what you want to do and it looks like im leaning torwards them. what do you think?

--and sorry if this has been asked before, i couldnt sift through 2000 or so pages of search results (except this thread only adds to that, oops). you could link a past thread if you find one?

Thanks.
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What do you want to do after a-levels?
What you want to do after may help you decide.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by odjoo)
i'd love to have someone tell me what to pick for a-level and have it over with, but it's never that simple )

I'm in year 11, choosing my a-levels. When I say I want to do further maths, everyone winces a bit, say it's too hard or narrows my prospects too much (in context, im looking at maths, physics and further maths for my 3, and the school doesn't allow 4 subjects). then there's the hippies that say do what you want to do and it looks like im leaning torwards them. what do you think?

--and sorry if this has been asked before, i couldnt sift through 2000 or so pages of search results (except this thread only adds to that, oops). you could link a past thread if you find one?

Thanks.
I'm not a hippy but I think that maths, further maths and Physics is fine, as long as you want to do something like Maths, Physics or Engineering at Uni
TheNewLad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's a bit of a double-edged sword. If you don't end up liking maths, it'll be a real slog. But if you do, further maths doesn't have as much content as base maths, so you end up doing like 1.5 A-Levels with the contact hours of 2, if that makes sense, so if you are fond of maths, doing both makes doing well a lot easier.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by TheNewLad; 1 week ago
ItFollowsNish
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm currently in Year 12, doing maths, further maths and physics as my 3 A Levels. Although there have been points when I've been worried that I've narrowed my options down too much, and also worried that further maths is going to be too hard (it's getting pretty intense right now!), I think if that's what you want to do, then go for it!

There are always other opportunities you can take that will enhance and boost your CV/UCAS application beyond the subjects you do in sixth form. And if you want to do engineering/physics/maths at university, and can only do 3 A Levels, I think further maths is a great third choice because some universities (eg Cambridge) 'strongly advise' you to have both maths and further maths at A Level.

Hope that helps! Good luck with GCSEs and choosing A Levels!
odjoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
What do you want to do after a-levels?
What you want to do after may help you decide.
i have no idea, and i think thats the cause of all this ((: probably something to do with maths and engineering .
Baza2002
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by odjoo)

Thanks.
I'm in year 12 and am finding further maths ok. You'd probably find it hard at first but when you get used to it it's fine. If you want to do maths or physics or something like that at uni then it'd be good.
odjoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheNewLad)
It's a bit of a double-edged sword. If you don't end up liking maths, it'll be a real slog. But if you do, further maths doesn't have as much content as base maths, so you end up doing like 1.5 A-Levels with the contact hours of 2, if that makes sense, so if you are fond of maths, doing both makes doing well a lot easier.
ive never heard that doing further maths would be easier lol. But I see what you mean, i'll definately remember this argument, thanks !
Max1989
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in year 13 after doing further alongisde maths, biology and Phsyics, it is hard...But it supplments phsycis and maths so well, if you are good at maths it is a deffinite pick, and as some peopel have said there is not that much content, it is just the content is hard, it's only feb and my class of 5 have already finished the course and have started revising via past paper questions, and revsing for the Mechanics and Stats resits as WJEC are a pain.
Willrumble
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by odjoo)

Thanks.
I'm in year 13 doing maths, further maths and French. I'd say that doing further maths is definitely a good idea if you want to do something maths-related at uni, and you will struggle to get on to any maths-related courses at top unis without FM
odjoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I'm not a hippy but I think that maths, further maths and Physics is fine, as long as you want to do something like Maths, Physics or Engineering at Uni
hippy might have been the wrong word lol sorry
i agree though, thanks (:
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by odjoo)
hippy might have been the wrong word lol sorry
i agree though, thanks (:
It's fine, I know what you meant
nabsers
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Further maths makes doing normal maths immensely easier so go for it!
mciryam
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
further maths is difficult especially in year 12 when the jump from gcse to a level further maths is really big. however if you really like maths it is a lot of fun because the concepts are really cool and more interesting that maths you’ve probably covered before. also, it makes normal maths much easier.
unless you have a specific subject you want to go for your third that isnt FM (like, chemistry if you want to do chem eng) then it’s a good choice because it puts you in a good position for maths and engineering courses.
i am in year 13 taking maths, physics, further maths and chemistry
Splishsplash
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you're looking at doing something maths or engineering related, then further maths is fine and as some posts have said, some of the top ranked universities look for FM if you apply for a maths heavy course. However, if you change your mind and want to do something else, e.g. medicine, vet, dentistry for instance, you'll find some universities not recognising FM as a 3rd subject. Might you be able to persuade your school to let you do 4 subjects to hedge your bets? Most schools will listen to the voice of reason.
Crazy education system in this country to make 16 year olds decide at such an early age. Good luck with your decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (237)
60%
No (158)
40%

Watched Threads