French Revolution essay list Watch

peperoniplayboi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am hoping to compile a massive list of possible essays for my French Revolution paper for A-Level.

As far as I can tell there are only a few types:
Causes of the Revolution
Reforms of the Assembly (1789)
Reforms of the Assembly (1789-91)
Collapse of Constitutional Monarchism
Causes of Terror
Main figures of Terror
Greatest threat to republic 1793-94
Success of Directory?
Failure of Directory - Causes

If you can think of more essay topics/questions then please let me know.
Last edited by peperoniplayboi; 1 month ago
peperoniplayboi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Topic 1:
To what extent were the financial problems of the government primarily responsible for the French revolution in 1789?
How significant was the enlightenment in contribution to the fall of the Ancien regime? To what extent was the outbreak of revolution in 1789 primarily due to the poor leadership of Louis XVI?
To what extent was the reform of the legal system the most significant consequence of the establishment of the National Assembly in 1789?
How far was Louis responsible for the outbreak of revolution in 1789?
'The main reason for the development of the revolution in 1789 was the sans-culottes.' How far do you agree with this statement?
How far was the philosophy of the enlightenment responsible for the collapse of absolute monarchy in 1789?
Topic 2:
'The National Assembly's reforms of the Catholic Church changed the course of the French Revolution.' How far do you agree with this statement?
'The storming of the Bastille had a greater impact on the authority of the monarchy than the October Days.' How far do you agree with this statement?
How accurate is it to say that 'the reforms of the National Assembly radically altered France in the years 1789-1791?'
How far did the reforms of the Assembly, 1789-1791, meet the needs of the people?
To what extent was France's participation in the war entirely responsible for bringing about the overthrow of the monarchy in August 1792?
'In the years 1789-1791 Louis authority was only seriously undermined after the flight to Varennes.' How far do you agree with this statement?
Were the actions of the sans culottes the main reason for the downfall of the King?
Topic 3:
'Supporters of the Terror were overwhelmingly motivated by a desire to secure the survival of the Republic.' How far do you agree with this statement in the years 1793-4?
How accurate is it to say that 'the civil war in the Vendee was the only significant crisis faced by the republican government during 1793?'
'The war crisis was the primary factor behind the emergence of government by terror in 1793.' How far do you agree?
How successful was the republic in dealing with its enemies during the period 1793-4?
To what extent was government by terror only about defeating the internal and external enemies of the Republic?
'War was primarily responsible for the divisions in France in the years 1792-1794?' How far do you agree with this statement?
How significant was Robespierre's role in the development of Terror 1793-1794?
In March the Vendee revolt broke out. How accurate is it to say that the revolt in the Vendee did not seriously threaten the republic? (AS)
'Given the scale of the opposition which they faced throughout France, the survival and victory of the Jacobin Government in Paris in 1793 was a remarkable achievement.' How far do you agree with this opinion?
How far was the terror a consequence of the actions of the sans-culottes?
Topic 4:
The political instability in France in the years 1794–99 arose from the bitter political divisions created by the events of 1793.' How far do you agree with this opinion?
'The government of the Directory in the years 1795-9 represented a return to stable government from the chaos of 1789-94.' How far do you agree with this statement?
How accurate is it to say that 'the Directory was a period of moderation?'
How successful was the Directory in dealing with political threats in the years 1795-9?
How significant a factor was the re-emergence of royalism towards the problems facing the Directory in the years 1795-9?
'In the years 1795-1799, The Directory succeed in bringing political and economic stability to France.' How far do you agree with this statement?
How accurate is it to say that, in the years 1795-1799, the main threat facing the Directory came from the army?
How far do you agree that the Directory was a complete failure?
To what extent can the collapse of the Directory be attributed to the pressures the war placed upon
it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (68)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (81)
18.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.12%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (132)
30.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed