The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Should British museums return objects to their countries of origin?

Scroll to see replies

It depends doesn’t it. Can the safety of those items be guaranteed in the countries of origin?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by Notoriety
The law is the law. Can't just go about tearing up contracts based upon notions of hokum and legitimacy of government, else the bloke who invoiced me for the bathroom would have to enter into decades-long litigation in order to see his 350 quid returned. The freemen of the land would have a ruddy field day.

So you resent and would reject for example the global initiatives subscribed to by most countries that property stolen from Jewish people by the Nazis should be repatriated, on the basis that one must respect old laws, even when passed by hateful governments that now no longer exist?
Original post by Kaffee_1998
It depends doesn’t it. Can the safety of those items be guaranteed in the countries of origin?

Is preservation of an object the key thing? Or should restitution be more about redressing past wrongs? Could it be considered paternalistic to demand that countries can only have their objects back if they look after them 'properly'? After all, some objects have been damaged or destroyed during their lives in museums in the West. Who has the right to determine what happens to objects?
Original post by lt15
Is preservation of an object the key thing? Or should restitution be more about redressing past wrongs? Could it be considered paternalistic to demand that countries can only have their objects back if they look after them 'properly'? After all, some objects have been damaged or destroyed during their lives in museums in the West. Who has the right to determine what happens to objects?

These ‘objects’ are key historical artifacts, regardless on where they came from they are part of human cultural experience and history. Some of these objects my come from places which no longer exist.
To return them, without being able to guarantee their safety from thieves for the sake of some half-assed attempt to look like we are repaying some form of debt would be irresponsible.
These ‘objects’ are key historical artifacts, regardless on where they came from they are part of human cultural experience and history. Some of these objects my come from places which no longer exist.
To return them, without being able to guarantee their safety from thieves for the sake of some half-assed attempt to look like we are repaying some form of debt would be irresponsible.

It's not just thieves - sometimes they require protection from the managements of the museums they are housed in. The Parthenon Marbles were severely damaged by BM 'restoration' in the 30s for example.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/nov/12/helenasmith

The museum decided to enable rich folk to hold private parties next to the marbles, apparently with some guests swanning around with glasses of wine around them. Even other museum directors have commented on how crass that was.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/nov/08/davidhencke

This is far from being the only example of mismanagement of antiquities and sloppy conduct by leading western 'patrimony-protection' museums and galleries.

So it isn't only in poorer parts of the world where damage happens as a result of poor protection.

I agree that we should think very carefully about returning objects if there is a likelihood they are going to be stolen. There is the case of the collections sent back to Angola by the Belgian government in the 1970s, as a result of post-colonial guilt for the atrocities of Leopold in the Congo in the 19th century. The material was immediately sold on the international art market to finance a military dictatorship. However, we can't completely guarantee the safety of collections anywhere in the world. We can't predict the future and don't know if countries may end up at war in years to come. Look at what happened in Europe during the Second World War.

Many things have been returned only to be destroyed or buried (Zuni war gods, Australian Aboriginal ancestors), and many things were never intended to be preserved in perpetuity in their original cultures.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
For now. How long after Brexit, with the country starving, will it be before angry mobs break down the doors of the BM and steal ancient mummies and the like to sell for food?

muh taking **** roll
It's not just thieves - sometimes they require protection from the managements of the museums they are housed in. The Parthenon Marbles were severely damaged by BM 'restoration' in the 30s for example.

The museum decided to enable rich folk to hold private parties next to the marbles, apparently with some guests swanning around with glasses of wine around them. Even other museum directors have commented on how crass that was.

This is far from being the only example of mismanagement of antiquities and sloppy conduct by leading western 'patrimony-protection' museums and galleries.

So it isn't only in poorer parts of the world where damage happens as a result of poor protection.

Good points! The museum I used to work in - Liverpool Museum - was bombed in the Second World War, with the result that objects were destroyed and the collections remained in storage, in appalling conditions, for decades afterwards.
So you resent and would reject for example the global initiatives subscribed to by most countries that property stolen from Jewish people by the Nazis should be repatriated, on the basis that one must respect old laws, even when passed by hateful governments that now no longer exist?

Most governments who have made gifts no longer exist. It becomes a bit problematic if all of their deeds become nullified because they have ceased to be relevant. Likewise, I don't suppose the people who sold British fabrics around the globe truly reflect the attitudes of current GB -- so we should demand all the fabric previously sold be returned to GB, or their value at the time they were sold. It might make up from the losses of Brexit.

Nazis stole things that didn't belong to them; in the context of gifting, the goods did notionally belong to the governments at the time. I think a comparison would be: a) Nazis stealing goods from Jews, b) gifting them to GB or bartering them away c) Jews requesting that the goods be returned to them. This works, as you say, in the Jewish context. It breaks down outside of the Nazism and Jewish context, because the Nazis belong in a sui generis category of ugliness and the West's attempts to "vitiate" their crimes are really unparalleled.

If you look at other genocides in the same time period, they do not even register on Joe Blogg's general knowledge nor do they attract the same transnational "vitiation". Indeed, the non-Jewish victims of the Holocaust attract significantly less attention than the Jewish. The Jewish struggle is unfortunately sui generis.
Original post by Notoriety
Most governments who have made gifts no longer exist. It becomes a bit problematic if all of their deeds become nullified because they have ceased to be relevant. Likewise, I don't suppose the people who sold British fabrics around the globe truly reflect the attitudes of current GB -- so we should demand all the fabric previously sold be returned to GB, or their value at the time they were sold. It might make up from the losses of Brexit.

Nazis stole things that didn't belong to them; in the context of gifting, the goods did notionally belong to the governments at the time. I think a comparison would be: a) Nazis stealing goods from Jews, b) gifting them to GB or bartering them away c) Jews requesting that the goods be returned to them. This works, as you say, in the Jewish context. It breaks down outside of the Nazism and Jewish context, because the Nazis belong in a sui generis category of ugliness and the West's attempts to "vitiate" their crimes are really unparalleled.

If you look at other genocides in the same time period, they do not even register on Joe Blogg's general knowledge nor do they attract the same transnational "vitiation". Indeed, the non-Jewish victims of the Holocaust attract significantly less attention than the Jewish. The Jewish struggle is unfortunately sui generis.

You are absolutely right that Nazi spoliation is considered to be in a category of its own. This was first promulgated through the Declaration of Principles agreed at the Washington Conference on Holocaust-era Assets in 1998, and by 1999 every single museum curator in the UK was asked to look through their collections to identify if they had material relating to Jewish families in the Second World War. As far as I'm aware, museum curators in the UK have not been officially asked to do this sort of provenance research in relation to any other group or people.
Original post by the bear
muh taking **** roll

That's a scary thought! In terms of Brexit (or Remain) and the British Museum, a number of people have observed that there is actually very little about this institution that is really 'British' - only a small percentage of the collections are from the UK, and perhaps an even smaller percentage of visitors.

Yeah but even so, deciding that they should be moved back to their so called countries of origin is the solution then I disagree completely
Reply 72
Yeah but even so, deciding that they should be moved back to their so called countries of origin is the solution then I disagree completely

I’m sorry but why should you be able to keep something that does not belong to you, especially when you compromise its integrity?
Original post by RSnia
I’m sorry but why should you be able to keep something that does not belong to you, especially when you compromise its integrity?

And who does it belong to? Nobody alive today. And some historical artifacts are from cultures and societies that no longer exist.
So who would you return them to?
Reply 74
And who does it belong to? Nobody alive today. And some historical artifacts are from cultures and societies that no longer exist.
So who would you return them to?

They don’t belong to people but to nations, many of these countries still exist today and are actively trying to take the artefacts back. When safety isn’t an issue and the items were forcefully taken rather than gifted, how is it okay for the U.K. to not open negotiations for their return?
Original post by lt15
That's a scary thought! In terms of Brexit (or Remain) and the British Museum, a number of people have observed that there is actually very little about this institution that is really 'British' - only a small percentage of the collections are from the UK, and perhaps an even smaller percentage of visitors.

The World Museum of Purloined Objects and Stolen So Long Ago Stuff that it Really doesn't Matter Awfully?
[QUOTE="RSnia;81868916"]They don’t belong to people but to nations, many of these countries still exist today and are actively trying to take the artefacts back. When safety isn’t an issue and the items were forcefully taken rather than gifted, how is it okay for the U.K. to not open negotiations for
Original post by RSnia
They don’t belong to people but to nations, many of these countries still exist today and are actively trying to take the artefacts back. When safety isn’t an issue and the items were forcefully taken rather than gifted, how is it okay for the U.K. to not open negotiations for their return?

Yeah well good luck with that.
I refer to the universal rule of finders keepers. Kidding aside:

If it was something recently nicked from a country that actually has some relationship with it, then fine. If it is some ancient artifact from a dead civilisation that has no real connection to the country wanting it 'back' other than geographic origin, then no.

In my book, "This really old thing you discovered 150 years ago which we didn't care about until recently is totally ours because it comes from the same area of land our country is on and we want it now and thanks for digging it up for us by the way" just doesn't fly.

Or if it was traded for, then also no.
Reply 78
Yeah well good luck with that.

Don’t worry I’m not delusional, of course they’d never give them back. It’s just interesting. Makes me wonder what Britain’s stance would be if the roles were reversed
Original post by RSnia
Don’t worry I’m not delusional, of course they’d never give them back. It’s just interesting. Makes me wonder what Britain’s stance would be if the roles were reversed

You raise a really good point here about what might happen if the roles were reversed. Some people argue that looting and destroying the 'Summer Palace' (which was the size of Central Park, NY, and consisted of hundreds of palaces and 100,000s of imperial objects), would be like Chinese armies plundering and burning down Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Hampton Court and Osborne House etc on the pretext of trying to legalise a drugs trade (ie 'the Opium Wars') - and then taking and selling the royal collections back in China. I wonder how people in the UK might feel now if this had happened to the British royal collections 150 years ago?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending