Is an Ebacc an actual grade? Watch

Erin4584
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m in year 8, and have just chosen my options. However, my school are sort of forcing students to take Ebacc. I really didn’t want to, as I want a GCSE in Spanish. I really want a qualification and grade for Spanish, not just the school getting some dumb rating and using my grade as that. So, are the Ebaccs actual grades (eg from 1-9)? And, will it be listed on a grade sheet like the other subjects? For example, History- 8Photography - 9 Also, do employers, universities and colleges and those types of places ACTUALLY care about Ebaccs? My school has been assuring us that that is the case. Thanks
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, the ebacc is just used as a performance metric for schools. So yours, like many, is just lying to you in order to boost stats. You don't receive any actual notification or certificate for having achieved it.
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No - it is an artificial construction that is important to the school and not you.
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
EBacc is something you automatically get from having done all of English, maths, sciences, a modern language and either history or geography at GCSE. You do not get a grade and it is only used as a performance metric for schools.

If you were to do a normal combination of subjects, including Spanish, that would still count as EBacc.
Epperplectic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Better than Welsh Baccalaureate we do.
shinzo435
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Erin4584)
I’m in year 8, and have just chosen my options. However, my school are sort of forcing students to take Ebacc. I really didn’t want to, as I want a GCSE in Spanish. I really want a qualification and grade for Spanish, not just the school getting some dumb rating and using my grade as that. So, are the Ebaccs actual grades (eg from 1-9)? And, will it be listed on a grade sheet like the other subjects? For example, History- 8Photography - 9 Also, do employers, universities and colleges and those types of places ACTUALLY care about Ebaccs? My school has been assuring us that that is the case. Thanks
Ebac involves one humanity, one modern language, two of your own choices and obviously english, maths and sciences. It's what I'm doing. It's just a way to system your choices, and it sounds nicer for the school to have as it's system or something like so
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (81)
14.16%
Yes - a food allergy (60)
10.49%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.62%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (15)
2.62%
No (401)
70.1%

Watched Threads