D of e Watch

Koobies
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
so I've started my bronze level for d of e and i was just wondering if anyone had any experiences/stories through their d of e course that they would be willing to share
Last edited by Koobies; 6 days ago
Rudav123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
What would you like to know
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BDE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Just about to finish Gold. What do you want to know?
saffarinda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
we made a vlog on our project, if you want to see it just PM me lmao
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lilTrain
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
i dont really have much to say about the volunteering and skills sections, they were pretty bland.
but the expedition, there was LOTS of walking. when we went, we walked 70km in total for those 2 days! you really need to be wearing some good boots. and a lot of snacks of course... i dont like walking a lot so it wasnt exactly my cup of tea.
theres also the map reading skills, which we learnt in DofE (but i already knew from scouts). my group didn't get lost, but another group my friend was in somehow lost their way 5 miles off from where we were meant to be yet they didnt fail somehow :rolleyes:
there was also a day when it was raining so heavily, puddles came up past our ankles and all the umbrellas broke.... i had also just run out of my change of clothes
personally i would never do it again because theres very little that actually happens (the only actual activity is the walking + map reading), but other than that its just a basic camp where you can do pretty much anything.
except order a pizza
i can confirm that from experience. no pizza party, sorry
shinzo435
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Koobies)
so I've started my bronze level for d of e and i was just wondering if anyone had any experiences/stories through their d of e course that they would be willing to share
Although you haven't asked what you wanna know, I've finished my silver and bronze so I can share that? And mostly theree's only expedition to talk about.

Having your friends in your expedition group is something I felt was both good and bad. We experienced low and high together, but be prepared that it is tiring and you may argue. You will patch it up, but at the time it will seem pretty bad especially after a whole day of being alone and just walking.
On groupings, being with people you don't know is also something else. I may not have talked to the people, but we were in it together for 4 days. So you get to know people and it's actually nicer than being with people you know well especially if they are supportive. By the end you'll feel bad especially if it rains, but getting to camp is an amazing feeling. During my qualifier for silver, we found the most beautiful ledge to watch the sunset from and we had dinner there with our little pots, and it is little moments like that make it amazing.

Be prepared to take lots of bin or rubble bag. If it rains, not only will your tent be wet, but you will always need spare ones. Oh yeah, waking up and starting off in rain is not the most fun, but it is what makes DofE. At the time it will feel awful but it's actually kinda nice looking back.

Find out if you can shower - although you're only doing bronze so it's not as bad, but especially for your silver, make sure you find out because nothing is better than a warm shower after a day of walking.

I took newspaper I found on the way up to our expediton and stuff your shoes every night. It will suck up moisture and it won't be too bad to get into in the morning.

Don't forget spare socks is my main tip. I forgot it on my bronze expedition, but a friend let me borrow and clean socks are heaven on DofE. On this topic of heaven, take flip flops with you. I only did this for my last expedition and it is a game changer.

There are I think the most important. Make sure you aren't in a group of people you don't get along with, I was and I think that was the worst experience I had, but it might be because those people were horrible. But the experience is something you never forget. I also used it in my personal statement for sixth form and the interviewer was actually very interested in it, regardless what you might have read.

Good luck and don't give up
ChicaDelTeatro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I would say create a meal plan before you go and have everything packed in an organised way otherwise you will lose something. Also Take Blister Plasters - your group and your feet will thank you!
I could whip up a meal plan for you - this Summer, I do my 4th expedition so got some experience if you like, tell me if it's group cooking or individual and any dietary requirements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (63)
8.33%
I used to but I don't now (19)
2.51%