How to dress as a male PhD student Watch

Tkang
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi all,I'm going to be starting a PhD in psychology at the University of Durham in October. I'm wondering how PhD students usually tend to dress? I'm trying to think back to my last University, but I keep drawing a blank. :-) I usually tend to wear a T-shirt, with a nice jumper and non-scruffy jeans. I also have a few shirts and a blazer, and a couple of pairs of chinos if I wanted a more formal look. Any guidance would be much appreciated!
Dr Otter
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Base it off the other students and the lab leader. My PI came in every day in an old tshirt and jeans. Him dressing up in a shirt or tie was a noteworthy occasion. Generally you can get away with wearing anything you want. I'm a postdoc now and still usually come in in a hoodie and jeans.

Assuming you'll be working with participants, probably go business casual for them but usually even that doesnt matter.
Last edited by Dr Otter; 6 days ago
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
However you want, I'd say most people go for anywhere between very casual and smart-casual. Dressing more formal than that is a bit odd unless you have an event on, though it may be expected if you're doing patient or participant facing research.
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Tkang)
Hi all,I'm going to be starting a PhD in psychology at the University of Durham in October. I'm wondering how PhD students usually tend to dress? I'm trying to think back to my last University, but I keep drawing a blank. :-) I usually tend to wear a T-shirt, with a nice jumper and non-scruffy jeans. I also have a few shirts and a blazer, and a couple of pairs of chinos if I wanted a more formal look. Any guidance would be much appreciated!
geeky t-shirt with a 'joke' on it, old jeans and white unbranded trainers that look like they belonged to the said student's dad in 1995.

full beard, but at the very least neck beard.

smells ok.
Last edited by CollectiveSoul; 5 days ago
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Like a roadman innit
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hopefully better than my male lecturers. Yuck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (55)
8.45%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.46%
No, but I want to start (241)
37.02%
No, I am unable to (151)
23.2%
No, I chose not to (188)
28.88%