Blood test tomorrow help! Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m 16 years old and I’m having an emergency blood test tomorrow morning. I have never had a blood test in my life and I don’t really know what to expect, how should I mentally prepare myself for this? Also how long does the taking of blood typically take? Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
erinls2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there! Try not to think it, it's not as scary as it seems the best advice I have is to relax - it makes it easier for the nurse/doctor doing the test and it also won't hurt much (it hurts more if you're tense but even then it's like a pin prick) and I promise you'll barely feel it! If you want maybe you could watch a YouTube video about what to expect at a blood test or something?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by erinls2)
Hi there! Try not to think it, it's not as scary as it seems the best advice I have is to relax - it makes it easier for the nurse/doctor doing the test and it also won't hurt much (it hurts more if you're tense but even then it's like a pin prick) and I promise you'll barely feel it! If you want maybe you could watch a YouTube video about what to expect at a blood test or something?
Thanks very much for the advice 😊
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Start drinking a lot of water now (literally, lots: litres and more) and it'll make the job of finding your veins a lot easier for the phlebotomist and nearly painless for you. I don't find the injection hurts all that much. The draw can kind of squeeze a bit, but it's like a tight pinch and it's over with in seconds.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sknudson)
Start drinking a lot of water now (literally, lots: litres and more) and it'll make the job of finding your veins a lot easier for the phlebotomist and nearly painless for you. I don't find the injection hurts all that much. The draw can kind of squeeze a bit, but it's like a tight pinch and it's over with in seconds.
Ok, thanks very much for the advice 😊
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok, thanks very much for the advice 😊
Just to clarify: water specifically and nothing else. I'm assuming you've been told to fast for at least 12h before the draw.
Anonymous #1
Just to clarify: water specifically and nothing else. I'm assuming you've been told to fast for at least 12h before the draw.
No, I haven’t been told that. All I know is it’s been moved to tomorrow as an emergency as I most likely have a very serious illness that needs to be diagnosed quickly
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, I haven’t been told that. All I know is it’s been moved to tomorrow as an emergency as I most likely have a very serious illness that needs to be diagnosed quickly
Go into it fasted to be sure then. Don't eat or drink anything besides water for 12 hours just before the draw as a bare minimum.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don’t go fasted unless specifically instructed to. It just makes it more likely you’ll faint.

Also don’t down litres of water unless you want to be asked to repeat the blood test because your sodium was inexplicably low.

Just do as you normally do.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Etomidate)
Don’t go fasted unless specifically instructed to. It just makes it more likely you’ll faint.

Also don’t down litres of water unless you want to be asked to repeat the blood test because your sodium was inexplicably low.

Just do as you normally do.
Go into it fasted to be sure then. Don't eat or drink anything besides water for 12 hours just before the draw as a bare minimum.
Ok... so do I or don’t I???
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you haven't been told to fast, then don't fast.

You don't need to drink loads of water now - you'll probably get given a big cup of water to drink before your blood test tomorrow.

I've never had a blood test but I've given blood several times, and they just ask you to drink 500ml of water before you go in.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also, if you're scared of needles, look away while they're putting it into your arm. It really doesn't hurt though, so don't worry.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
If you haven't been told to fast, then don't fast.

You don't need to drink loads of water now - you'll probably get given a big cup of water to drink before your blood test tomorrow.

I've never had a blood test but I've given blood several times, and they just ask you to drink 500ml of water before you go in.
Ok, I’ll just have a small breakfast in the morning and drink lots of water, thanks 😊
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok, I’ll just have a small breakfast in the morning and drink lots of water, thanks 😊
Don't drink a crazy amount though - as a pp has said, it will mess up your sodium levels.
halsx11
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
U eat cuz if the docs haven’t advised u then don’t do it! Your going to have breakfast tomoz and going to take a deep breath! Trust me I was in the same position as you and I had it done but it does hurt ngl! It’s like a pinch and that’s literally it there’s nothing to worry about hon! You can do this 🤗👍
Lilligant22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's really not scary at all; I had one recently. I just looked away when the jag went in, but it also helped that the nurse tending to me was really nice. It's super quick, too, like 5 minutes or under.

Can't remember honestly what I ate because I didn't think of it as a big deal lol though it's good to have a breakfast.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Also, if you're scared of needles, look away while they're putting it into your arm. It really doesn't hurt though, so don't worry.
I’m not scared of needles don’t worry (I literally sew as a hobby 😂) I’m just worried about how long the taking of blood will take, how long does it typically take do you know?
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you have the lab request sheet handy, then it should indicate if it's a fasted draw. I would personally fast because it's one of those verbal instructions that are easily forgotten and will need to be repeated if you haven't. It's your call here though. If you're certain you haven't been told to fast, then forget what I said.
Anonymous #1
If you have the lab request sheet handy, then it should indicate if it's a fasted draw. I would personally fast because it's one of those verbal instructions that are easily forgotten and will need to be repeated if you haven't. It's your call here though. If you're certain you haven't been told to fast, then forget what I said.
I don’t have a request sheet or anything like that because it is an emergency blood test so it had to be organised quickly so I have no idea
pizzapancakes26
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey,
I'm a blood donor, and while I know this isn't the same as a quicker blood test, the aspect of needles is fairly similar I doubt you will have to drink a load of water or eat a huge amount of food- I would suggest you do at least drink a glass before your test. Not a great amount of blood is taken for a test, so it shouldn't take too long, but the nurse/doctor/phlebotomist will probably wrap a band (tourniquet) round your arm to make your veins more visible, they may also feel around and once they have found it, they will dsinfect the area, insert the needle, withdraw the blood and then remove the needle, placing a plaster over your arm.
It didn't hurt when I was donating blood and the needle was a decent size Don't worry, you can look away and if at any point you feel uncomfortable, just notify a member of staff who will asist you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (236)
59.9%
No (158)
40.1%

Watched Threads