Is it right that concert tickets cost so much Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
A musician worth a billion pounds can charge 500 quid to be seen in concert, and make millions of pounds in this way. Is it right that ordinary people should pay this much while filling the pockets if someone who is already extremely wealthy? And how does the artist justify this to themselves?
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I suspect that concerts aren't that profitable. There's a lot to pay for on the part of the organisers.

£500 is absolutely taking the piss though.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A musician worth a billion pounds can charge 500 quid to be seen in concert, and make millions of pounds in this way. Is it right that ordinary people should pay this much while filling the pockets if someone who is already extremely wealthy? And how does the artist justify this to themselves?
They don't need to justify anything. If people are willing to pay £500 then they will charge that. If people are willing to pay £10000 then they will also charge that.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Sinnoh)
I suspect that concerts aren't that profitable. There's a lot to pay for on the part of the organisers.

£500 is absolutely taking the piss though.
Depends on the artist.
For that price you often dont even get a good view.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
Supply and demand. Dont go. Your choice.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
Depends on the artist.
Which artist? Show us? Also is this the box office price or ticket reseller?
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
it's called supply & demand. you have the choice whether or not to go, concerts are not an essential item.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
They don't need to justify anything. If people are willing to pay £500 then they will charge that. If people are willing to pay £10000 then they will also charge that.
Yes I expected somene would say this, but it doesnt make it right imo and a lot of people are priced out.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes I expected somene would say this, but it doesnt make it right imo and a lot of people are priced out.
But it's all about money at the end of the day, and charging as high prices as possible makes perfect sense.

It sucks, I know.
Anonymous #1
Im trying to have a debate here. If I was an artist worth millions and millions of pounds, with loads of fans who adored me (lol) I dont think I could allow an ordinary hard working person to empty their bank accounts just for the privilege of seeing me.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
But it's all about money at the end of the day, and charging as high prices as possible makes perfect sense.

It sucks, I know.
Its about giving people an experience too.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its about giving people an experience too.
They are - if said people are willing to pay the price.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
it's called supply & demand. you have the choice whether or not to go, concerts are not an essential item.
:facepalm: not the point.
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
:facepalm: not the point.
it is the point.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
no.

its just supply/demand.

if supply < demand then they can charge whatever they want
Anonymous #1
Dont know why people are getting so defensive.
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m not aware of any artists in the world who are charging anywhere close to £500 for general admission tickets through official distributors.

Maybe if your buying VIP/Hospitality tickets for a top international artist or going to see them at a super exclusive show in a tiny venue when they normally play stadiums then it’s possible. But regular GA stadium tickets are normally in the £70-120 range even for the biggest acts.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by IanDangerously)
I’m not aware of any artists in the world who are charging anywhere close to £500 for general admission tickets through official distributors.

Maybe if your buying VIP/Hospitality tickets for a top international artist or going to see them at a super exclusive show in a tiny venue when they normally play stadiums then it’s possible. But regular GA stadium tickets are normally in the £70-120 range even for the biggest acts.
I can think of at least one but I won't say who.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This isn’t a case of right or wrong. You are not forced to go and pay that much so who cares.

There are other issues in the world, the price for a concert ticket isn’t one of them.
Last edited by Bio 7; 1 week ago
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Depends on the artist.
There's no human right to a good view at a concert. We all have to live within our means.

Artists are free actors, in a free market. They can charge whatever they want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (237)
59.85%
No (159)
40.15%

Watched Threads