Has anyone here had gastritis? Watch

TheAnxiousSloth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My antidepressant irritated my stomach and gave me chronic gastritis (basically my stomach lining is inflamed) which sucks.

Has anyone here had gastritis before? You can get this condition if you take medications like ibuprofen, antibiotics, antidepressants like mine , if you drink too much alcohol or smoke, if you have an allergy to something but still eat it anyways, if you have an auto-immune disease or if you have chronic stress.

I am worried it won't ever heal.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheAnxiousSloth)
I have not had it, but have treated plenty of patients.

As long as you don't continue the irritant, there are no other reasons why it wouldn't heal, and you take medication as prescribed then gastritis could potentially be treated.

You'll need to see your GP / a gastroenterologist though, to make sure that you don't have other reasons why the gastritis is chronic.
TheAnxiousSloth
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
I have not had it, but have treated plenty of patients.

As long as you don't continue the irritant, there are no other reasons why it wouldn't heal, and you take medication as prescribed then gastritis could potentially be treated.

You'll need to see your GP / a gastroenterologist though, to make sure that you don't have other reasons why the gastritis is chronic.
I stopped taking the antidepressant and now take esomeprazole daily. I also take digestive enzyme tablets with meals and drink slippery elm bark before bed.
However, I eat small amounts of chocolate (I know I'm not supposed to) and I'm worried it will stop my stomach from healing.

I'm seeing a gastroenterologist next week but i'm worried they won't be interested in finding out the root cause and will only care about masking my symptoms with antacids.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
..I'm seeing a gastroenterologist next week but i'm worried they won't be interested in finding out the root cause and will only care about masking my symptoms with antacids.
It's not really just masking the symptoms, because antacids will allow the tissues damaged by excessive acid to heal.

There are many reasons why gastritis doesn't heal, so I :crossedf: for you that they will find out. I am not going to list them all because it may scare you / other readers!
Zasty
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have a condition with the exact same symptoms and it sucks until you realise that it isn't that bad
TheAnxiousSloth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zasty)
I have a condition with the exact same symptoms and it sucks until you realise that it isn't that bad
If it's left untreated though it can lead to conditions like Barrett's Oesophagus, internal bleeding and stomach cancer .
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If it's left untreated though it can lead to conditions like Barrett's Oesophagus, internal bleeding and stomach cancer .
Sounds terrible. Hopefully it would heal one day and you’ll be in a better condition
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
trager
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This sounds like me. After many years with acute gastritis back and forth + IBS, chronic stress and an eating disorder my stomach is severely ****ed. I've been taking digestive enzymes for years and they really help! I had to stop with gluten, dairy, onions and eggs.

I take other meds from Sweden which I think helps really well. I'll try and find the names of them for you!

Eating bananas has been my savior, boiled fish, boiled potatoes, porridge etc. Really boring but it really helps.

Hope this helps sorta. My mum's got chronic gastritis and she got some stronger pills from the doc than the ones you buy at the pharmacy so talk to your gp! It's a lot better now for her now so stay strong and it won't be like this forever.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (36)
12.59%
Yes - a food allergy (32)
11.19%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
3.15%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.15%
No (200)
69.93%

Watched Threads