The Student Room Group

University

Hi I’m only in Year 11 right now but I’m interested in medicine so I wondered if
1) Anyone had any advice/ revision tips for the UKCAT exams as I’ve not been told much about them or how to prepare (I’d be taking them in June 2020)
2) What are some of the best universities for medicine?
Thanks
Original post by Lottie475
Hi I’m only in Year 11 right now but I’m interested in medicine so I wondered if
1) Anyone had any advice/ revision tips for the UKCAT exams as I’ve not been told much about them or how to prepare (I’d be taking them in June 2020)
Thanks

“Best uni” is so subjective it’s hard to say. Look for somewhere that is in an area you like with a course that suits you. For example if you want to do an intercalated Bsc or masters that might narrow your choices. Just start doing some research really. For the UKCAT use the book and some websites but don’t over practise. Two weeks is enough in my opinion.
Original post by Lottie475
Thanks

1) I wouldn't bother looking at UKCAT right now, it's a long way off so wait until later to look at it
2) You could use league tables but for medicine there is less distinction between which unis are better than others. Of course, some may have better teaching styles or management but at the end of the day this is quite subjective to you as they are all different but still give you the same degree. At the end of the day, once you've graduated you're a junior doctor like all the other medic graduates, maybe places like Oxbridge would give you better research opportunities but otherwise I wouldn't bother looking at which unis are better, focus on your GCSEs and get the grades you need. When you do apply you'll probably be more focused on where you've got the highest chance of getting in so rankings don't really mean anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending