Chances of going to Durham for law? Watch

rose.obrien
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My GCSE’s are average. I got: 5 A*s, 4 As and 1 B. (This includes a few 9s)
(My schools average was 50% A*)

My extracurriculars are strong and I’m sure I can get work experience

If I get A* A* A* predicted grades and a strong score in my LNAT what are the chances of me getting in?

I’m not sure bc online the application success rate seems to be above 60% which is reassuring, but I’ve heard that 8 A*s is the cutoff point and the cause for a lot of rejections
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did you sit new style GCSEs or old style ones? Your post is a bit unclear. It's very likely next year unis will have to look at GCSEs differently as less people will have the very top grades.

Durham don't have any official GCSE requirements beyond a pass in English language, but obviously they will compare your academic profile with other applicants.

It may also be, depending on your actual grades, that predictions of A*A*A* would look unrealistic to universities, and wouldn't help you that much. A strong score in the LNAT would definitely help.

Ultimately, I'm sure you would have a chance and having one or two risky choices on your application is ok.
rose.obrien
Rep:
?
I sat a mix of the old and new, so i got a mix of numbers and letters. I just translated them all to letters so it wouldn’t look messy
The two 9s I got may make my application look a bit better (by the way do unis only look at your top 8 gcses, English and maths included?)
Also it’s a shame about the predicted grades, the UCAS’ offer rate calculator gave me the wrong impression
But I’m glad that I may be able to partly redeem myself with the LNAT!
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by evabellarose)
I sat a mix of the old and new, so i got a mix of numbers and letters. I just translated them all to letters so it wouldn’t look messy
The two 9s I got may make my application look a bit better (by the way do unis only look at your top 8 gcses, English and maths included?)
Also it’s a shame about the predicted grades, the UCAS’ offer rate calculator gave me the wrong impression
But I’m glad that I may be able to partly redeem myself with the LNAT!
Universities look at your entire academic profile, so all your GCSEs.

UCAS' calculator is a very blunt tool, don't forget that offer decisions are made by real people with real thoughts and biases. To know if your predicted grades look realistic, people would need to see your grades by subject and the subjects you're sitting.

If you're doing A-levels in the subjects where you got 9s, then A* predictions would be expected. If you got lower grades then an A* prediction may look less realistic.

The personal statement and your reference will also factor into any decisions the uni makes.
anonymous1231231
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You have a chance. Your GCSEs won't be a huge problem, your predictions would be good and if your LNAT MCQ and essay is good, then definitely.
rose.obrien
Rep:
?
Thank you for being straightforward and realistic with me

I got a 9 and a 7 at GCSE for two of my a level subjects (the third being economics, which I didn’t take a gcse in, but I got a 7 in maths and 9 in English, which are subjects i feel make up the skill set for economics)

I know u can’t really say for sure, but if u could guess a % chance of my application being successful, what would it be?
rose.obrien
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
You have a chance. Your GCSEs won't be a huge problem, your predictions would be good and if your LNAT MCQ and essay is good, then definitely.
That’s good to hear thank youu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (36)
12.68%
Yes - a food allergy (32)
11.27%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
3.17%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.17%
No (198)
69.72%

Watched Threads