The Student Room Group

Why is wearing dirty shoes trendy?

I've noticed that wearing dirty shoes has become very trendy. For example I see a lot of white girls wearing dirty white air force 1s and they are usually quite arty, hippy and middle class. It's really weird like I can't figure out whether it's deliberate or most people just don't take care of their creps. It feels like the whole thing is fashionable but I don't understand why rocking dirty trainners can become a trend?
It's not on a mainstream level.
Many people are just lazy about washing their sports shoes.
A few fringe activists, anarchists and anti-establishment types like to wear heavily creased, shabby looking, unwashed outfits to make a statement.
Reply 2
I didn’t even realise that was “trendy”, I thought people were just too lazy to wash them
May be these people are lazy but imagine such shoes can give you a dusty look with dark and light colored clothes combination.
Reply 4
Never washed a pair of trainees in my life and not gonna start now.
Reply 5
saint laurent do it, probably the only example of it being "trendy"
Reply 6
I'll wash my trainers if the upper gets muddy, but there's no point otherwise. It'd be like cleaning a tractor's wheels, only to go through the mud straight after.
Not a trend where I live. Make sure your shoes ain't creased and that they're clean. One girl even wore a plastic bag on her shoes.
Original post by RSnia
I didn’t even realise that was “trendy”, I thought people were just too lazy to wash them

Same here
Original post by Zeetingman
I've noticed that wearing dirty shoes has become very trendy. For example I see a lot of white girls wearing dirty white air force 1s and they are usually quite arty, hippy and middle class. It's really weird like I can't figure out whether it's deliberate or most people just don't take care of their creps. It feels like the whole thing is fashionable but I don't understand why rocking dirty trainners can become a trend?

since the global recession of 2008, young people have turned away from showing off wealth (eg. preferring plain jumpers vs jumpers with the ralph lauren pony on) and towards showing off how normal and down to earth they are

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending