Flatmate is making revision difficult - advice? Watch

emilylougrace
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi!

Long story short, I'm studying for an MSc part time and I have a huge exam in 2 weeks - I also work full time.

I try to study for 2 hours in the evening and I would normally do this at the office but I've started 'burning out' from being on site for 12 hours weekdays. So for the past 2 days I've come home to revise at the dining table (we have an open plan ground floor!). I find this better cos I can make a coffee, have dinner and wear my PJs and get all comfy.

My problem is that my flatmate/landlord is not happy with me studying at the table - this evening he turned the main light off and moved the floor lamp closer to me because "the main light makes it harder to watch tv" I wouldn't mind him watching tv whilst I revise except he has it so ****** loud, my noise cancelling headphones barely mask it, I've asked him to turn it down but "He needs to relax too at the end of the day". I've found revising really difficult today, I've not paid much attention. My room btw is tiny! no desk just a clothes rail and a bed. I really don't want to revise in my room because it's just not a good set up.

Should I go back to work to revise or speak to my flatmate? I have co-landlords I could always speak to the other one. I pay to live here... but it is his property. What would you do?

Thanks x
Last edited by emilylougrace; 1 week ago
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Could you go to a library or another place?
Say you understand he wants to relax but you need to study and ask if he can turn it down a little and that you are doing what you can to mask the noise already.
Maybe also mention that it would only be for two weeks as after that your exam will be done.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can't expect people to be quiet in their living room because you've decided to revise. Either go to work, get a laptop stand for your bed or find a library.
Lilligant22
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I understand your frustration but the living room is a communal space. If you are having so much trouble with it then I'd study in your room or elsewhere, like above posts have said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (42)
11.97%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
11.11%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.13%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.56%
No (250)
71.23%

Watched Threads