The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough for Medicine or shall i just quit

Hey,
I'm in Y12 and I have to pick my Uni options in October and now I'm stressing. I got two 8s, two 7s, four 6s and three 5s.
1) Are my grades good enough for medicine in Russel Group Universities e.g. Kings, Imperial, UCL etc.
2) If not are they good enough for a course like Biomed
P.S. I haven't got A level predictions yet so disregard that factor
Ty xx
Original post by amara<3
Hey,
I'm in Y12 and I have to pick my Uni options in October and now I'm stressing. I got two 8s, two 7s, four 6s and three 5s.
1) Are my grades good enough for medicine in Russel Group Universities e.g. Kings, Imperial, UCL etc.
Ty xx

No need to panic.
Some unis emphasise GCSE and others dont care. Yours are ok but not stellar, so best use your 4 choices on ones where you cnan meet their criteria. If its medicine then dont get fixated on Russel Group as Medicne does have the same heirarchy and all med schools are respected. You get the same qualification.

That said a quick review says that neither Kings, UCL or Imperial place great emphasis on GCSE just they prefer Maths and English at a 6.

You are going to have to get used to researching the med schools and identifying the ones that are not in your range, as well as the ones that dont interest you. Your A levels are the most important and you need at least AAA at first sitting so if you are in year 12 and not in a good place use the summer to catch up and be on top. Your predicteds also need to be AAA or better. They dont like resits.

You should be fine for biomed. Upi learn by research and going to the uni site and web page then reading the entry and selection policy.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
You
Original post by amara<3
Hey,
Ty xx

My daughter has less grades than you one 8, one 7 and seven 6’s and she is still aiming for medicine having looked at all university requirements and will apply strategically if she is predicted the A levels she needs and gets an excellent UCAT score

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending