The Student Room Group

RAF PRTC and BRTC dates

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LorraineF
Thankyou for your quick reply, he seems to be more concerned with the housekeeping side of things... I guess that’s what makes them men... 👍🤨

Teach him how to iron, put a crease in a shirt, in a trouser leg. Good practise would be for him to keep his bedroom immaculate for the weeks approaching, get him tidying his room daily, all these things get your mind into a motion. No harm in it. He’ll be using a hoover and iron from day 00 anyway haha.
Hi! I have BRTC on 26th June too! 😁
Original post by Hollymegz112
Hi all,

I’ve recently got my dates, them being:
PRTC - 24th April
BRTC- 26th June

If anybody has the same dates let me know! Cheers!
Reply 42
Can I pick your brains about prtc if you have already completed it as mines in a few days. In regards to the tests you have to do, are they pass/fail and if you fail, you fail prtc altogether?
Also did you have to do functional skills? I have my GCSE certs so was advised if I have these I don’t need to do functional skills but some info on here says I will still have to do them?
Thanks!
Original post by Con00bcfc
Wow same, first time hearing another gen tech workshop trade. We’ll probably be going to St Athens at the same time then.

The tips for PRTC is to try your hardest for the fitness test don’t give up because if you fail you’ll have to stop the extra day and re do the test. Try make some friends/ speak to people if you need help. And just be quite and follow instructions.

You’ll have to do maths, English, spelling and speaking and listening assessments when you’re there in a classroom but they’re really easy. Even if you fail the assessment you don’t have to stop another day it’s just to asses you on your knowledge.

I applied it October then had my medical in Jan then my PRTC in Feb now I’m waiting to start BRTC on 10th of April (arrive on the 9th April) I think it’s taken us such a short amount of time to progress through the application is because they need our trade as it’s not a common/popular trade. People I spoke to at PRTC who are doing popular trades like gunners have been in the whole joining process for about a year, some even longer!
Original post by Ftilley
Can I pick your brains about prtc if you have already completed it as mines in a few days. In regards to the tests you have to do, are they pass/fail and if you fail, you fail prtc altogether?
Also did you have to do functional skills? I have my GCSE certs so was advised if I have these I don’t need to do functional skills but some info on here says I will still have to do them?
Thanks!

The fitness test is a simple Pass/Fail and if you fail you can try again on the Friday of PRTC, fail again you’ll need to come back to attempt it. Everyone irrespective of if they have GCSE’s or not WILL sit a Maths/English ‘quiz’ can’t call it a test really, but if you like, call it a test. It includes a spelling test. In additional, you’ll write a penpicture about yourself which you’ll get 10 minutes planning + 20 minutes to complete, they’re looking for special educational needs such as dyslexia etc. They’re not really Pass/Fail, if you do ‘badly’ you’ll get 1-1 tuition at BRTC when you’re there. If you’ve got GCSE Maths & English C+ I wouldn’t even worry. Any further questions ask!
Hi there mate,

I have my PRTC in July, I did my 2.4k run in 10 minutes 40 seconds do you recommend doing anything to prepare for the bleep test or will I just be fine doing the usual running? Also do you receive your kit list at the PRTC? As I haven’t received it yet.
Original post by NotCatchingMe
The fitness test is a simple Pass/Fail and if you fail you can try again on the Friday of PRTC, fail again you’ll need to come back to attempt it. Everyone irrespective of if they have GCSE’s or not WILL sit a Maths/English ‘quiz’ can’t call it a test really, but if you like, call it a test. It includes a spelling test. In additional, you’ll write a penpicture about yourself which you’ll get 10 minutes planning + 20 minutes to complete, they’re looking for special educational needs such as dyslexia etc. They’re not really Pass/Fail, if you do ‘badly’ you’ll get 1-1 tuition at BRTC when you’re there. If you’ve got GCSE Maths & English C+ I wouldn’t even worry. Any further questions ask!
Reply 45
This info is really useful thank you! I know I’ll be fine on my fitness, I was just wondered they’ve be other sections on prtc I could fail on. Ive got high qualifications, just been a good 10 years since I sat my GCSE’s so was a bit anxious as to whether these were definite pass/fail sections.
Any other useful bits to know about prtc beforehand? How long were you there for?
Original post by NotCatchingMe
Reply 46
Original post by Ftilley
Thanks!

Hi there
Not pass of fail as such with maths etc if u don’t reach the standard required u may have to start BRTC a few days earlier to do them again/workshops not sure what happens if u fail them again there sorry
The fitness test is pass or fail although with us due to the amount of people to get through they stop you once u reach the required standards. If u do fail you can retake on the Friday of PRTC.
Definitely bring yours certificates as yes you won’t have to stay on the Friday as well to do the functional skills but everyone does maths and English tests on the Wednesday.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Ftilley
This info is really useful thank you! I know I’ll be fine on my fitness, I was just wondered they’ve be other sections on prtc I could fail on. Ive got high qualifications, just been a good 10 years since I sat my GCSE’s so was a bit anxious as to whether these were definite pass/fail sections.
Any other useful bits to know about prtc beforehand? How long were you there for?

It’s been 7 years since I done my GCSE’s so don’t worry you’ll be fine. PRTC is very simply very easy, just turn up do what you’re told and enjoy the 2 days. You spend more time waiting around then actually doing anything 🤣 My biggest advice would be mingle, talk to people, find those that are the same intake and trade as you so you know a few people and faces before you actually start BRTC, and those will also be the people you’ll go to phase 2 with!
Original post by Ftilley
Thanks!

I just completed PRTC a few weeks ago there. It was brilliant fun and I enjoyed it very much even though I had a bit of a rough start as I had problems with transport from the airport and didn’t get to Halton until the fitness test started and I freak out when I’m late lol but the staff were brilliant and helped settle me down. Do not underestimate 9.10 on the bleep test like I did. I thought training on a treadmill would have been accurate but the turning on the spot really makes a difference as I found the Bleep test a lot harder then the 1.5 mile but I passed it first time anyway and the 20 push ups and 35 sit ups too (Obviously this applies to my gender and age group you will know I’m sure what your own requirements are.) You also only have to do the functional skills IF you don’t bring educational certificates and MAKE SURE you bring them as there were a few on our intake who had to do them because they forgot or ‘weren’t told’ to bring theirs so save yourself the bother. All and all PRTC is really just like an introduction to Halton and shouldn’t be anything to worry about if you are prepared. Ones who complete the fitness test first time and have Maths and English can go home the next day at 15:30 I believe it was. Personally I don’t want to ruin the experience for you and it’s probably best you don’t know everything that will happen. You’ll get some nice surprises and some not but it’s all part of the experience and hopefully you’ll enjoy it as I did.

Quick Reply

Latest