can a bad trip cause PTSD? Watch

nobody12345
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I used to smoke weed to help my anxiety and panic disorder, however I had to stop because I accidentally smoked laced weed. I was on holiday when it happened and I started hallucinating, my heart felt like it was beating really slowly (sometimes it felt like it would even stop for a couple seconds) and I was literally passing out and I kept waking up. I started screaming for no reason, then started laughing; this went on for a good couple hours. I forced myself to go to bed because I was too scared to be awake. The next day I was having trouble breathing and my lips were blue. I was too scared to go to the hospital as I was only 15 at the time (I'm 16 now). I always used to have panic attacks, however after this event happened, they were 10 times worse. The pain in my chest was unbearable and it literally felt like I was having a massive heart attack as the pain would run down my arms and through my neck. It got so bad that a couple months later I HAD to go to the hospital. They told me it was just anxiety and that nothing was wrong with my heart (they gave me an ECG). It's been almost a year and sometimes, out of the blue, it feels like I'm "there" again. The same feeling of being helpless and feeling like I'm high and that there's nothing I can do about it. It's like I'm not even here. The longest it's lasted is about an hour. It honestly feels different to a regular panic attack as there's no physical pain and is just more of a feeling then anything. Yes I know it's my fault as I shouldn't have been taking anything in the first place but could this be PTSD?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Hello, had same exact experience as you - it gets better.

People think weed is this beautiful, calming or enhancing drug (which no doubt is when its ok - mine wasn't laced by the way). But honestly, it can be a powerful hallucinogen and not everyone who smokes it knows this. So when you start to trip, your mind knows something isn't right because "weed is weed, you don't see anything on it....".
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Edit to my first post, I believed my case was PTSD and it improved (almost nom existent now, but I do faint if I bleed profusely like in a harmless nose bleed) and pretty much get flashbacks. I get the same tingly feeling throughout my entire body, almost like it is being drained of all blood (pins and needles) and there is high pitch noise in my ear - once I start to get better it sounds and looks like I am underwater. I think it has left an imprint on me forever but it improves. I wish they taught this to us in school, if I knew weed could do this to me I wouldn't have taken it/would have expected it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm gonna be honest, I'm not 100% sure a bad trip would qualify you for the first criterion of PTSD - this requires you to be either directly or indirectly exposed to death, real or threatened serious injury to yourself or to someone close to you, or sexual violence, or be a first responder/police, etc exposed to a lot of heavy details of murder, etc. You might be struggling with an adjustment disorder if it isn't PTSD though, or something else entirely. I would definitely see your GP and ask for a referral to CAMHS though, because either way, this was a traumatic experience and you need to work through it and process it, because it's clearly on your mind a lot.

Having said that, I'm not a clinician, I've just spent a lot of time learning about PTSD/Complex PTSD with researchers whilst I was studying at university and also learnt about it being in therapy as I suffer with complex PTSD.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (35)
12.41%
Yes - a food allergy (32)
11.35%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
3.19%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.19%
No (197)
69.86%

Watched Threads